Jazz and Stars to Host Math Hoops Live for Students
SALT LAKE CITY - For the fourth-straight season, the Utah Jazz will host an NBA Math Hoops Live event to engage local students in math through basketball at Bruin Arena on the campus of Salt Lake Community College in Taylorsville on Tuesday, Jan. 14 at 4 p.m.
At the Math Hoops Live educational event, Utah Jazz two-way forward Jarrell Brantley and Stars forward Wyatt Walker will captain two teams of local students for two halves of play. The students will solve fundamental math problems, which will unlock different locations for Brantley and Walker to shoot from on the court to earn points for their teams.
NBA Math Hoops is a fast-paced basketball board game that emphasizes foundational math and social-emotional skills over a 12-week curriculum. In Math Hoops Live, the game transforms into a live-action event on the court at Bruin Arena, the home of the Jazz's NBA G League affiliate, the Salt Lake City Stars.
The Jazz, with support from Larry H. Miller Charities, implemented NBA Math Hoops at the start of the 2016-17 season. The program now supports 3,500 students from 50 schools, after-school programs and nonprofits across the state of Utah, who have been learning basic arithmetic, geometry, percentages and statistical analysis through an engaging curriculum.
The Jazz Math Hoops program, in conjunction with the nonprofit Learn Fresh, will conclude in March with a regional tournament for select student participants and the National Championships will be held in Detroit in the spring.
Last season, fourth-grader Taylor Jennings from Creekview Elementary in Price represented the Jazz at the National Championships in the Bay Area, finishing among the final four competitors.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 13, 2020
- Warriors Fall to Hustle, 122-92 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Run Past Warriors to Start Homestand - Memphis Hustle
- Stockton Kings Shooting Beats Iowa Wolves 163-143 - Stockton Kings
- Mad Ants Overcome Slow Start to Beat Capital City - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Windy City Bulls Announce Fundraisers for Australian Bushfire Relief Effort - Windy City Bulls
- Tremont Waters Named NBA G League Player of the Week - Maine Red Claws
- Memphis Hustle Begin Seven-Game Homestand Tonight at 7 p.m. against the Santa Cruz Warriors at Landers Center - Memphis Hustle
- Skyhawks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Win over 905 - College Park Skyhawks
- Cavaliers Waive Levi Randolph - Canton Charge
- Jazz and Stars to Host Math Hoops Live for Students - Salt Lake City Stars
- Mad Ants Announce Black History Month Essay Contest and Community Conversation for Saturday, February 1 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Legends Acquire Jahmal McMurray - Texas Legends
- Vipers to Host "I Am" Camp - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Salt Lake City Stars Stories
- Salt Lake City Stars Complete 2021 NBA G League Season
- Salt Lake City Stars Comeback Falls Short against Magic
- Yogi Ferrell Scores 29 in Salt Lake City Stars Victory
- Salt Lake City Stars Comeback Falls Short against Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Salt Lake City Stars Shine Bright against NBA G League Ignite