Mad Ants Announce Black History Month Essay Contest and Community Conversation for Saturday, February 1
The Fort Wayne Mad Ants, presented by Lutheran Health Network, the NBA G League affiliate of the Indiana Pacers, announced today the team will celebrate Black History Month with an essay contest for middle school and high school students throughout northeast Indiana as well as northwest Ohio.
Beginning today, students wishing to participate will be asked to write 250-500 words about a prominent African American figure with a connection to Fort Wayne, how they have impacted the community and what the students can do to serve as a positive influence throughout their communities as well.
Students will have until Monday, Jan. 20 to submit essays here: https://pacers.formstack.com/forms/bhmcontest
Four judges from the Purdue Fort Wayne Black Student Union will aid in selecting finalists for the two divisions. The two winners will be notified by Friday, Jan. 24.
The two winners will be awarded a prize pack consisting of: a personalized Mad Ants basketball, tickets to the Saturday, Feb. 1 game vs. Canton, a tablet device courtesy of 3Rivers Federal Credit Union, appearances on WANE-TV before the game on Feb. 1 as well as on-court recognition during the game.
In conjunction with the essay contest, the Mad Ants will host a Community Conversation, highlighted by a prominent group of panelists, to discuss the essay topic in more detail with children from the Boys & Girls Club of Fort Wayne. The conversation will begin at 5 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 1 at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum.
The scheduled panel will feature:
Terra Brantley: WANE-TV news anchor
Ron Howard: Fort Wayne Mad Ants community development manager
Iric Headley: Fort Wayne United director
Joe Jordan: Boys & Girls Clubs of Fort Wayne CEO and president
Amos Norman: Renaissance & Skyview YMCA executive director
Dr. Rae Pearson: Alpha Rae Personnel CEO
The two essay contest winners will also present their essays with members from the Boys & Girls Club during the conversation.
Official contest rules can be viewed here: https://fortwayne.gleague.nba.com/mad-ants-black-history-month-student-essay-contest-official-rules/
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 13, 2020
- Warriors Fall to Hustle, 122-92 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Run Past Warriors to Start Homestand - Memphis Hustle
- Stockton Kings Shooting Beats Iowa Wolves 163-143 - Stockton Kings
- Mad Ants Overcome Slow Start to Beat Capital City - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Windy City Bulls Announce Fundraisers for Australian Bushfire Relief Effort - Windy City Bulls
- Tremont Waters Named NBA G League Player of the Week - Maine Red Claws
- Memphis Hustle Begin Seven-Game Homestand Tonight at 7 p.m. against the Santa Cruz Warriors at Landers Center - Memphis Hustle
- Skyhawks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Win over 905 - College Park Skyhawks
- Cavaliers Waive Levi Randolph - Canton Charge
- Jazz and Stars to Host Math Hoops Live for Students - Salt Lake City Stars
- Mad Ants Announce Black History Month Essay Contest and Community Conversation for Saturday, February 1 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Legends Acquire Jahmal McMurray - Texas Legends
- Vipers to Host "I Am" Camp - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Mad Ants Stories
- Moore's Late-Game Heroics Lift Mad Ants to Third Consecutive Win
- Mad Ants Release Hasheem Thabeet
- Mad Ants Overcome Slow Start to Beat Capital City
- Mad Ants Announce Black History Month Essay Contest and Community Conversation for Saturday, February 1
- Mad Ants Acquire Daxter Miles Jr. from Northern Arizona