Hustle Run Past Warriors to Start Homestand
Southaven, Miss. - The Memphis Hustle (18-6) earned its largest victory of the season with a 122-92 victory over the Santa Cruz Warriors (14-10) Monday night at Landers Center. The Hustle led by as many as 48 (95-47) in the third quarter, marking the largest lead by any team in the NBA G League this season.
Memphis started the game on a 16-2 run and knocked down 12 of its first 15 field goal attempts, shooting 62.5 percent (16-25 FG) for the first quarter. Santa Cruz cut the lead to as little as five during the period, but a Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson steal and slam dunk in transition right before the buzzer lifted Memphis to a 36-24 lead heading into the second quarter.
A pair of three-pointers from Hollis-Jefferson and Grizzlies assignee Bruno Caboclo followed by a fastbreak dunk by Ahmad Caver off of a Warriors turnover pushed the lead to 20 (44-24) to start the second. Memphis used a 24-6 run over the first 6:24 over the quarter to push the lead to 30 (60-30) and led by 43 (79-36) at halftime, good for the largest halftime lead in franchise history. The Hustle shot 7-of-11 from long range in the quarter while Santa Cruz missed all 10 of their attempts. Memphis outscored the Warriors 43-12 in the frame, marking a season-low for points in any quarter by a Hustle opponent.
Memphis' 79 first half points tied a franchise record for any half while their field goal percentage (.638; 30-47 FG) set a new season-high. The Hustle also set a new franchise record for three-point percentage (.667; 10-15 3P) in a quarter, knocking down seven of their first nine attenpts.
Dusty Hannahs led the Hustle with an efficient night off the bench, scoring 21 points on 8-of-12 shooting (3-4 3P) in just 20 minutes of action. Grizzlies assignee Marko GuduriÃ¦ made his first six field goal attempts and finished with 20 points. Yuta Watanabe (19 points, 10 rebounds) had his first double-double of the season. Josh Jackson added 17 points while Caboclo contributed 15 of his own.
Former Grizzlies guard Andrew Harrison led the Warriors with 18 points. Two-way player Ky Bowman followed suit with 17. Former Grizzlies center Deyonta Davis (10 points, 13 rebounds) and Juan Toscano-Anderson (10 points, 10 rebounds) each recorded double-doubles.
The Hustle return to action on Friday, January 17 at 7 p.m. CT the South Bay Lakers at Landers Center. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 13, 2020
- Warriors Fall to Hustle, 122-92 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Run Past Warriors to Start Homestand - Memphis Hustle
- Stockton Kings Shooting Beats Iowa Wolves 163-143 - Stockton Kings
- Mad Ants Overcome Slow Start to Beat Capital City - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Windy City Bulls Announce Fundraisers for Australian Bushfire Relief Effort - Windy City Bulls
- Tremont Waters Named NBA G League Player of the Week - Maine Red Claws
- Memphis Hustle Begin Seven-Game Homestand Tonight at 7 p.m. against the Santa Cruz Warriors at Landers Center - Memphis Hustle
- Skyhawks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Win over 905 - College Park Skyhawks
- Cavaliers Waive Levi Randolph - Canton Charge
- Jazz and Stars to Host Math Hoops Live for Students - Salt Lake City Stars
- Mad Ants Announce Black History Month Essay Contest and Community Conversation for Saturday, February 1 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Legends Acquire Jahmal McMurray - Texas Legends
- Vipers to Host "I Am" Camp - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Hustle Bounce Back with Win over Austin Spurs
- Hustle Struggle in Fourth, Fall to Raptors 905
- Grizzlies Takeover Night Set for Saturday, January 25 at Landers Center
- Hustle Win Back and Forth Battle with Blue Coats
- Memphis Hustle to Host Second Installment of Hustle & Hounds this Friday, January 24 at Landers Center