Inagural Sacramento Cup Kicks off with Soccer Ball Scavenger Hunt
WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif., June 7, 2010 - In anticipation of the inaugural Sacramento Cup, Raley Field has announced that they have organized a soccer ball scavenger hunt throughout Sacramento. More than 50 soccer balls have been strategically hidden throughout the greater Sacramento Area for fans to find and turn in for tickets to the upcoming MLS soccer exhibition between Chivas USA and San Jose Earthquakes at Raley Field on Saturday, June 12 at 7 p.m.
Scavengers that find a ball are encouraged to bring it in to the Raley Field Ticket Office and redeem for two free tickets to the Sacramento Cup at Raley Field. There will also be one special "Golden Ball" hidden around the city. The person who finds this ball will win 10 mid-field tickets, $100 Cat Cash and an autographed soccer jersey.
Tickets for the match are on sale now with prices starting at just $25 up to $35. Fans can purchase tickets by visiting the Raley Field Ticket Office, raleyfield.com or ticketmaster.com.
The June 12 match marks the return of soccer to Raley Field; the ballpark hosted International matches for three consecutive years 2006, 2007 and 2008. The event also coincides with the beginning of World Cup Soccer on June 11.
Raley Field is known throughout the Sacramento region as a premiere entertainment and event venue. Nestled along the Sacramento River in West Sacramento, the world-class event and entertainment facility is home to the four-time Pacific Coast League Champion Sacramento River Cats and has hosted numerous concerts, community celebrations, festivals and private events.
About the teams: The Earthquakes will make their second appearance in Sacramento in team history on June 12. The team faced CD Olimpia from Honduras in a CONCACAF Champions Cup match at a sold-out Sheldon Florin Community Stadium. Landon Donovan, Ian Russell and Jeff Agoos scored for the Quakes in a 3-1 win that moved San Jose into the quarterfinals of the Champions Cup. Ramiro Corrales is the only current Quakes player that appeared in that match on March 16, 2002.
San Jose and Chivas USA have played 10 times with the Southern Californian squad holding a 4-2-4 series lead, including a 3-2 win on April 24 at The Home Depot Center in Los Angeles. The Earthquakes are 4-2-0 in 2010, while Chivas USA is 3-4-1.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 7, 2010
- Mulvey Pitches Aces to 4-2 Win over Beavers - Reno Aces
- 'Birds Blast 'Topes 20-7 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Split Doubleheader with Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Mulvey Shines in Aces Win over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Z's Beat Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Fall to Express on Monday Night, 5-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Express Score Early, Hold Off Sounds 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- 'Topes Topple 'Birds, 9-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Select Colon in First Round - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces Catcher Corporan Nabs PCL Player of the Week Honor - Reno Aces
- PCL Player & Pitcher of the Week, May 31-June 6 - PCL
- Okc RedHawks Game Notes Update - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Inagural Sacramento Cup Kicks off with Soccer Ball Scavenger Hunt - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Nashville Sounds - June 7 (Game 58) - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Montero to Join Aces on Rehab Stint - Reno Aces
- JUCO World Series Champ Reivers to be Honored Tonight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- World Famous Budweiser Clydesdales to Appear at Rosenblatt - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Even Series With 8-2 Win Over Nashville - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.