Sounds Fall to Express on Monday Night, 5-3
ROUND ROCK, Tex. - The Round Rock Express topped the Nashville Sounds, 5-3, on Monday evening at The Dell Diamond in Round Rock in the third-game of a four-game series.
With the loss, Nashville (32-25) has dropped four of its last five contests overall, with the Express also holding the Sounds to three of fewer runs in six of the seven games between the two clubs this season.
The Sounds were also held without an extra-base hit and went 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
Round Rock took a 1-0 lead in the opening frame, as Express outfielder Jason Bourgeois hit a leadoff double off former Sounds teammate Sam Narron. After Edwin Maysonet singled over Bourgeois to third, Narron induced an infield double play and allowed the run to score for third.
The Express added another run for a 2-0 lead in the next inning on another infield groundout, as Yordany Ramirez grounded out to Luis Cruz to plate Jason Castro.
After a one-out, Oswaldo Navarro double in the bottom of fourth inning, Matt Kata hit an RBI-base knock to left field that extended the Round Rock lead to 3-0.
After Express starting pitcher Andy Van Hekken was removed from the game and replaced with Yorman Bazardo, the Sounds got on the board in the top of the sixth inning and reduced the Express lead to two runs. Nashville loaded the bases with no outs, thanks to walks from Mat Gamel and Brendan Katin, plus a single from Erick Almonte. Cruz then brought home the club's first run on an infield groundout to the second baseman that scored Gamel from third. It was Cruz's 31st RBI of the season, tying him with Joe Koshansky for the team-lead.
The Express tacked on two insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth inning. In a rehab appearance for the Brewers, reliever David Riske allowed two two-out RBI-singles to Brian Bogusevic and Chris Johnson for a 5-1 Round Rock advantage.
The Sounds rallied in the bottom of the ninth inning to load the bases off reliever Tim Corcoran, but were able to only score two runs in the final frame. With two outs and the bases juiced, Adam Stern singled up the middle to score Johnny Raburn and Joe Koshansky to cut the lead to two runs. Corcoran then got Mat Gamel to groundout and end the ballgame.
Van Hekken (3-4) earned the win, allowing one run on four hits with three walks over five innings for Round Rock. Bazardo added three shutout innings in relief.
Narron (0-1) took the tough loss after twirling a quality start in his 2010 Sounds debut. The 6-foot-7 left-hander surrendered three runs on seven hits with two strikeouts over six innings pitched. A.J. Murray provided one scoreless inning in relief.
Stern snapped out of an 0-for-17 hitless drought with a 2-for-5 performance while adding two RBIs. Almonte also went 2-for-3 with a walk, posting a multihit-game for the ninth time in his last 12 contests with multiple appearances.
The Sounds and Express will continue their four-game series with Tuesday evening's 7:05 pm CT finale at The Dell Diamond. Left-hander Chris Waters (4-2, 3.43) takes the hill for Nashville against Round Rock right-hander Shane Loux (1-1, 9.53).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 7, 2010
- Mulvey Pitches Aces to 4-2 Win over Beavers - Reno Aces
- 'Birds Blast 'Topes 20-7 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Split Doubleheader with Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Mulvey Shines in Aces Win over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Z's Beat Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Fall to Express on Monday Night, 5-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Express Score Early, Hold Off Sounds 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- 'Topes Topple 'Birds, 9-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Select Colon in First Round - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces Catcher Corporan Nabs PCL Player of the Week Honor - Reno Aces
- PCL Player & Pitcher of the Week, May 31-June 6 - PCL
- Okc RedHawks Game Notes Update - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Inagural Sacramento Cup Kicks off with Soccer Ball Scavenger Hunt - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Nashville Sounds - June 7 (Game 58) - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Montero to Join Aces on Rehab Stint - Reno Aces
- JUCO World Series Champ Reivers to be Honored Tonight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- World Famous Budweiser Clydesdales to Appear at Rosenblatt - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Even Series With 8-2 Win Over Nashville - Round Rock Express
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Nashville Sounds Nominated for Prestigious Minor League Baseball Honor
- Sounds Win Season Finale on Walk-Off
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (65-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-59)
- Dillard Dazzles in Front of Sellout Crowd
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (64-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-58)