Rainiers Split Doubleheader with Las Vegas
Tacoma, WA - The Tacoma Rainiers came out even in their doubleheader with Las Vegas at Cheney Stadium on Monday, grabbing a 3-1 win in the first game and dropping the second 7-2.
The third inning proved to be the difference maker for the Rainiers in their victory in the first game. Shortstop Jack Wilson broke up a 1-1 game after driving in Chris Woodward with a two-out RBI double. Outfielder Brad Nelson followed that up with another double that scored Wilson from second in the next at bat.
Right-hander Andy Baldwin picked up his fourth win for the Rainiers after holding the 51s to one run on six hits and fanned three over six innings of work. Reliever Levale Speigner recorded his fourth save of the season with a perfect performance in seventh.
The loss went to Las Vegas starter Jesse Litsch following a night where the right-hander allowed all three Rainiers runs to score on eight hits over 8 2/3 innings.
The 51s turned the tables in the second half of the doubleheader and handed the Rainiers a loss, pelting Tacoma with seven runs on 12 hits. Outfielder Jose Calderone led the Las Vegas lineup and turned in a 2-for-3, two-RBI performance, including a solo home run in the top of the sixth.
The win went to Las Vegas right-hander Rey Gonzalez after he limited Tacoma to one run on six hits over five innings, while walking three and fanning five. Tacoma right-hander Yusmeiro Petit was stuck with the loss after allowing four runs on six hits in a 2.2-inning start.
The Rainiers close out their series with the 51s at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow when they send left-hander Ryan Feierabend to the hill to face Las Vegas left-hander Marc Rzepczynski.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 7, 2010
- Mulvey Pitches Aces to 4-2 Win over Beavers - Reno Aces
- 'Birds Blast 'Topes 20-7 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Split Doubleheader with Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Mulvey Shines in Aces Win over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Z's Beat Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Fall to Express on Monday Night, 5-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Express Score Early, Hold Off Sounds 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- 'Topes Topple 'Birds, 9-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Select Colon in First Round - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces Catcher Corporan Nabs PCL Player of the Week Honor - Reno Aces
- PCL Player & Pitcher of the Week, May 31-June 6 - PCL
- Okc RedHawks Game Notes Update - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Inagural Sacramento Cup Kicks off with Soccer Ball Scavenger Hunt - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Nashville Sounds - June 7 (Game 58) - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Montero to Join Aces on Rehab Stint - Reno Aces
- JUCO World Series Champ Reivers to be Honored Tonight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- World Famous Budweiser Clydesdales to Appear at Rosenblatt - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Even Series With 8-2 Win Over Nashville - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Tickets to be Available on Saturday, February 23 for First Tacoma Rainiers Homestand
- Daren Brown Returns to Lead Rainiers Field Staff in 2019
- Ashley Schutt Named Pacific Coast League Woman Executive of the Year
- 2018 Tacoma Rainiers Season Review
- Tacoma Rainiers and Seattle Mariners Announce Four-Year Extension of Player Development Contract