PCL Player & Pitcher of the Week, May 31-June 6
June 7, 2010 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) News Release
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Reno Aces catcher Carlos Corporan and Iowa Cubs pitcher Mitch Atkins have won the Pacific Coast League's Player and Pitcher of the Week award for May 31-June 6, the league announced Monday.
Corporan, 26, who entered the week with a .222 batting average in 26 games, caught fire over a three-game stretch from Friday to Sunday. In that time, he batted .769 (10-for-13) with six extra- base hits and three runs batted in. Overall, the switch-hitting Corporan hit a league-best .565, reached base at a .593 clip and slugged 1.130, more than 200 points better than anyone else in the PCL during the week. He finished play on June 6 hitting a robust .287, and in six games already has more hits in June (13) than in either April (11) or May (11).
The 6-foot-2, 220-pound backstop is in his third season in the PCL, but just his first with the Aces. In 2008 and 2009 with Nashville, Corporan hit .230 and .201, respectively, collecting just one home run, one triple and nine doubles in 179 at-bats for the Sounds a year ago. This past week Corporan collected two homers, a triple and five doubles in 23 at bats.
Atkins, a 6-foot-3 right-hander, enjoyed a pair of stellar performances in just his fifth and sixth starts of the 2010 season. He excelled in a no-decision on May 31 in Nashville, striking out eight batters in six shutout innings, then turned in six more innings of one-run baseball with six punch outs in a June 5 victory against New Orleans. In all, Atkins led the PCL with 14 strikeouts in 12 innings, compiled a 1-0 record with a 0.75 ERA, and allowed just six hits and four walks in his two outings.
The 24-year-old is 4-2 on the season with a 2.63 ERA, holding opposing hitters to a .211 batting average. A former seventh-round pick, Atkins is a three-time minor league All-Star, having represented the Midwest League in 2006, the Florida State League in 2007 and the Southern League in 2008. It is his second career PCL Pitcher of the Week award, after he went 2-0 with a 1.38 ERA in two starts from August 24-30, 2009.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 7, 2010
- Mulvey Pitches Aces to 4-2 Win over Beavers - Reno Aces
- 'Birds Blast 'Topes 20-7 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Split Doubleheader with Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Mulvey Shines in Aces Win over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Z's Beat Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Fall to Express on Monday Night, 5-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Express Score Early, Hold Off Sounds 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- 'Topes Topple 'Birds, 9-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Select Colon in First Round - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces Catcher Corporan Nabs PCL Player of the Week Honor - Reno Aces
- PCL Player & Pitcher of the Week, May 31-June 6 - PCL
- Okc RedHawks Game Notes Update - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Inagural Sacramento Cup Kicks off with Soccer Ball Scavenger Hunt - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Nashville Sounds - June 7 (Game 58) - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Montero to Join Aces on Rehab Stint - Reno Aces
- JUCO World Series Champ Reivers to be Honored Tonight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- World Famous Budweiser Clydesdales to Appear at Rosenblatt - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Even Series With 8-2 Win Over Nashville - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.