Mulvey Shines in Aces Win over Beavers
RENO, Nev. - Kevin Mulvey struck out a season-high eight batters over six strong innings and helped himself with a two-run single as the Reno Aces beat the Portland Beavers 4-2 at Aces Ballpark Monday night.
Mulvey (1-5) allowed two runs on four hits and one walk to earn his first win since Aug. 11, 2009, when he was pitching for Minnesota's Triple-A Rochester affiliate in an International League game at Buffalo.
Jeff Bailey and Pedro Ciriaco led the Aces' (26-33) 12-hit attack and Mark Hallberg had two RBIs as Reno won consecutive games for the first time since May 21-22.
Aaron Cunningham hit his fourth homer of the year and Sean Kazmar doubled and drove in the Beavers' (21-36) other run.
Will Inman (2-4) gave up all four runs and 11 hits but did not walk a batter and struck out three over seven innings.
Hits by Bailey, Yunesky Sanchez and Ciriaco loaded the bases for the Aces with one out in the second. Hallberg plated the first run of the game with a grounder to short before Mulvey knocked in two runs with a single up the middle.
Cunningham's homer led off the fourth inning and the Beavers added another run when Mike Baxter walked, moved to second on Craig Cooper's single and scored on Kazmar's forceout.
Hallberg collected his second RBI of the game on a bases-loaded sacrifice fly in the bottom of the fourth.
The Beavers started a rally in the top of the ninth, getting a leadoff single from Baxter and a walk to Cooper. But Eric Munson popped out and Kazmar lined into a game-ending double play to the pitcher Zach Kroenke, who recorded his second save.
The Beavers and Aces finish their series Tuesday at 1:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Inman has walked zero batters in three of his last five starts after walking at least two in each of his first six starts ... the Beavers are 2-24 when being held to two runs or fewer ... Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero went 1-for-4 as he began his rehab assignment with Reno ... after walking a season-high 10 batters on Sunday, the Beavers did not allow any walks.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 7, 2010
- Mulvey Pitches Aces to 4-2 Win over Beavers - Reno Aces
- 'Birds Blast 'Topes 20-7 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Split Doubleheader with Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Mulvey Shines in Aces Win over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Z's Beat Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Fall to Express on Monday Night, 5-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Express Score Early, Hold Off Sounds 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- 'Topes Topple 'Birds, 9-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Select Colon in First Round - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces Catcher Corporan Nabs PCL Player of the Week Honor - Reno Aces
- PCL Player & Pitcher of the Week, May 31-June 6 - PCL
- Okc RedHawks Game Notes Update - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Inagural Sacramento Cup Kicks off with Soccer Ball Scavenger Hunt - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Nashville Sounds - June 7 (Game 58) - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Montero to Join Aces on Rehab Stint - Reno Aces
- JUCO World Series Champ Reivers to be Honored Tonight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- World Famous Budweiser Clydesdales to Appear at Rosenblatt - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Even Series With 8-2 Win Over Nashville - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss