Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Nashville Sounds - June 7 (Game 58)
GAME 58 - 7:05 p.m. CDT - JUNE 7, 2010 - THE DELL DIAMOND - ROUND ROCK, TEXAS
ROUND ROCK EXPRESS (26-31) vs. NASHVILLE SOUNDS (32-24)
RADIO: "The Horn" 104.9 FM ESPN Austin (online streaming audio at www.ESPNAustin.com); 92.5 FM; 1260 AM
EXPRESS: LHP Andy Van Hekken (2-4, 4.09 ERA) - SOUNDS: LHP Sam Narron (0-0, 0.00)
SATURDAY, JUNE 5 - GAME 56
Sounds 9, Express 6
WP: Wright (4-2). LP: Trinidad (3-3). SV: Smith (16).
SUNDAY, JUNE 6 - GAME 57
Express 8, Sounds 2
WP: Perez (2-0). LP: McClendon (2-1). SV: None.
MONDAY, JUNE 7 - 7:05 p.m. CDT - GAME 58
Express: LHP Andy Van Hekken (2-4, 4.09 ERA)
Sounds: LHP Sam Narron (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
TUESDAY, JUNE 8 - 7:05 p.m. CDT - GAME 59
Express: RHP Shane Loux (1-1, 9.53 ERA)
Sounds: LHP Chris Waters (4-2, 3.43 ERA)
Round Rock continues its fourth home stand of the season Monday with the third game in a four-game series against the Nashville Sounds (Milwaukee Brewers). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. CDT. This is the second of four series between the two teams this season. The Express have won four of the first six games after an 8-2 victory Sunday night. Round Rock (26-31) is 4-6 in its last 10 games but has won three of the last four. Nashville (32-23) is 6-4 in its last 10 games. The Express are 16-14 at home, while the Sounds own the PCL's second-best road record at 18-12. Round Rock is fourth in the PCL American Southern Division, 5.5 games behind division leader Oklahoma City. Nashville leads the PCL American Northern Division by two games over the Memphis Redbirds.
EXPRESS ON THE AIR
Tonight's game will be broadcast live on "The Horn" 104.9 FM ESPN Austin. Pregame starts at 15 minutes prior to first pitch with veteran Express play-by-play man Mike Capps on the call. Live streaming audio of the broadcast also is available online at www.ESPNAustin.com. ... Home games also are simulcast on 92.5 FM and 1260 AM. Games at The Dell Diamond also are broadcast on 88.9 FM throughout the stadium.
Round Rock won three of four in the teams' first series at The Dell Diamond. The Express won each of the series' first three games before Nashville posted a 3-1 victory in the finale. Nashville won the opener in this series before an 8-2 Express victory last night. This is the Sounds' last trip to Round Rock this season. The Express head to Nashville for four-game sets in late June and early August.
EXPRESS STARTING PITCHER
LHP ANDY VAN HEKKEN
Third season with Astros organization, second with Round Rock ... 13th season in professional baseball ... Seattle Mariners 1998 third-round draft pick out of Holland [Mich.] High School ... Traded to Detroit June 27, 1999 ... Tigers organization 1999-2004 ... Made Major League debut Sept. 3, 2002 ... Also spent time in Atlanta Braves (2005) and Kansas City Royals (2006) organizations ... Played independent ball in parts of three seasons (2006-2008) ... Also pitched in Mexican League in 2008 ... Signed by Astros as free agent July 1, 2008 ... Makes ninth start of season Sunday ... Combined on four-man, five-hit shutout at New Orleans (4/10) ... 16-to-1 strikeout-to walk ratio over last three starts after 8-to-11 ratio in previous three starts ... Nine strikeouts over 7.0 innings at Omaha were most in a game by an Express pitcher this season (5/28) ... Took loss despite seven-inning complete-game effort against Iowa in last start (6/3); allowed four runs on six hits and no walks with two strikeouts.
TEAM QUICK NOTES
Round Rock is 3-1-4 in its last eight series after starting the season 0-5-1. ... The Express have scored multiple first-inning runs in four of their last five games. Sunday's four-run first inning was Round Rock's highest-scoring first inning this season. ... Round Rock is 23-8 when scoring at least five runs, 3-23 when scoring fewer than five runs. Meanwhile, the Express are 22-10 when holding their opponent to fewer than five runs, 4-21 when the opponent scores at least five runs. ... The Express are 18-13 following a loss but 8-17 following a win. Round Rock is 3-5 following consecutive wins with no winning streak longer than three games. ... Round Rock is 7-9 in its last 16 games after going 12-7 in the 19-games prior to that stretch. ... The Express in the PCL statistical rankings: fifth in batting (.278), ninth in pitching (4.33), ninth in fielding (.977).
PLAYER QUICK NOTES
- Josh Banks is tied for third in the PCL with six wins, five of which have come since May 1. He leads the PCL with 75.2 innings pitched. Banks is 6-1 at home and 0-3 on the road. He has allowed three or fewer earned runs in 10 of 12 starts. Banks owns a 2.59 ERA through the fifth inning; that figure balloons to 5.94 after the fifth. His 8.2-inning start in the Iowa series finale was the longest outing by and Express pitcher this season (6/4); he was a two-out error shy of tossing Round Rock's first nine-inning complete game this season.
- Jonah Bayliss is 1-0 with a 2.08 ERA in seven road outings (13.0 innings) but 0-2 with a 4.85 ERA in nine appearances at The Dell Diamond (13.0 innings). He is holding opponents' to a .103 average (3-for-29) when ahead in the count but allowing a .424 average (14-for-33) when behind in the count. All four home runs he has allowed have been solo shots. Bayliss has allowed one run in 7.0 innings of work after the eighth inning.
- Brian Bogusevic has not gone hitless in consecutive games since April 29, a 36-game stretch. Five of Bogusevic's home runs have been solo homers; however, three of the six have either tied the game of given the Express a lead. He leads the PCL with 44 runs scored.
- Jason Bourgeois is riding a 15-game hitting streak, his second of at least 10 games this season; he is hitting .343 (24-for-70) during the current streak. Bourgeois' current is the longest by an Express player this season. It is the seventh-longest streak in the PCL this season and the league's second-longest active streak. Bourgeois has hit safely in 25 of the last 26 games, going 47-for-118 (.398) in that time with 12 multiple-hit games and seven games of three-plus hits. However, he has tallied just one hit in each of the last seven games. Bourgeois is fifth in the PCL in batting average (.349), second in hits (74) and fourth in stolen bases (17).
- Jason Castro has hit safely in 23 of 26 games, going 33-for-98 (.337) in that time. He has reached safely in 44 of 44 games played this season, including 27 straight. His current 27-game streak is the second longest in the PCL this season (four games shy of longest) and the league's longest active streak. Castro has not gone hitless in consecutive games since May 6. He turned in his 14th multiple-hit outing Sunday night; all 14 games have been two-hit performances.
- Roy Corcoran is two-for-two since moving into the closer role upon Casey Daigle's call-up to Houston last week.
- Michael Garciaparra has hit safely in 12 of 14 games, going 15-for-35 (.429) in that time. He also is has hit safely in three consecutive pinch-hit appearances.
- Chris Johnson has hit safely in 21 of 26 games with the Express, producing an RBI four of the five hitless games and walking in the other. He is hitting .487 (19-for-39) when batting fifth in the lineup, .221 (15-for-68) elsewhere in the order.
- Matt Kata is hitting .128 (6-for-47) in 12 games since ending a 13-game hitting streak two weeks ago. Kata was 3-for-4 with a double and five RBI in Friday's Iowa series finale, the most RBI in a game by an Express player this season. Kata is hitting .350 (62-for-177) in 44 games since starting the season 4-for-38 (.105). He has committed only two errors in 118 total chances at second base this season, posting a .983 fielding percentage. Kata ranks fifth in the PCL with 66 hits.
- Drew Locke has hit safely in 21 of his last 24 starts, hitting .349 (30-for-86) in that time. Locke is hitting .330 (32-for-97) in 29 games since May 5. All seven of his home runs have come in the last 20 games (since May 16). Locke has multiple hits in nine games this season, all of which have been two-hit outings.
- Edwin Maysonet returned to the Express lineup Saturday in the Nashville series opener after spending nearly a month on the disabled list. It was his first action since May 8. Maysonet has committed only one error in 113 total chances at shortstop for a .991 fielding percentage. He has not gone hitless in three consecutive games this season; however, he also has hit safely in three straight only once - a four-game run in mid-April.
- Oswaldo Navarro has reached safely in 24 of 26 starts. He has 11 multiple-hit outings in 29 games, the best percentage (37.9) on the Express roster.
- Yordany Ramirez is hitting .125 (3-for-24) in eight games since snapping a four-game hitting streak that was his longest of the season. He is hitless in his last 11 pinch-hit appearances after starting the season 2-for-2.
- Chris Shelton has missed 10 of the last 12 games with hand and knee injuries; it is his first missed action of the season. Shelton leads the team in games with at least one hit (33). However, he is hitting .111 (3-for-27) in his last seven games played.
- Sergio Perez has worked 7.0 innings in each of his four starts with the Express, allowing no more than three earned runs in any of those starts and two earned runs three times. He left the game with a lead once and tied once in his two no-decisions, and he has allowed exactly one home run in each start. His streak of four consecutive games with at least 7.0 innings pitched is the longest such streak by an Express pitcher this season.
- Polin Trinidad has allowed four home runs over his last four outings after not allowing a round-tripper in his first seven appearances.
- Andy Van Hekken has a 16-to-1 strikeout to walk ratio over his last three outings. His nine strikeouts at Omaha (5/28) were the most by an Express pitcher this season. He has allowed five home runs over his last four outings after not surrendering a round-tripper in his first seven appearances.
Round Rock returns to the road for its fifth road trip of the season, starting with a four-game series at New Orleans (the site of the season's first series). The Express and Zephyrs open the series Thursday, June 10, with a 7 p.m. CDT first pitch.
THURSDAY, JUNE 10 - 7:00 p.m. CDT - GAME 60
Express: RHP Josh Banks (6-4, 3.33 ERA)
Zephyrs: LHP Hunter Jones (0-5, 4.17 ERA)
FRIDAY, JUNE 11 - 7:00 p.m. CDT - GAME 61
Express: LHP Polin Trinidad (3-3, 4.84 ERA)
Zephyrs: LHP Sean West (1-0, 0.00 ERA)
SATURDAY, JUNE 12 - 6:00 p.m. CDT - GAME 62
Express: RHP Sergio Perez (2-0, 2.89 ERA)
SUNDAY, JUNE 13 - 6:00 p.m. CDT - GAME 63
Express: LHP Andy Van Hekken (starts tonight)
Zephyrs: RHP Brian Lawrence (starts tonight)
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 7, 2010
- Mulvey Pitches Aces to 4-2 Win over Beavers - Reno Aces
- 'Birds Blast 'Topes 20-7 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Split Doubleheader with Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Mulvey Shines in Aces Win over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Z's Beat Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Fall to Express on Monday Night, 5-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Express Score Early, Hold Off Sounds 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- 'Topes Topple 'Birds, 9-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Select Colon in First Round - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces Catcher Corporan Nabs PCL Player of the Week Honor - Reno Aces
- PCL Player & Pitcher of the Week, May 31-June 6 - PCL
- Okc RedHawks Game Notes Update - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Inagural Sacramento Cup Kicks off with Soccer Ball Scavenger Hunt - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Nashville Sounds - June 7 (Game 58) - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Montero to Join Aces on Rehab Stint - Reno Aces
- JUCO World Series Champ Reivers to be Honored Tonight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- World Famous Budweiser Clydesdales to Appear at Rosenblatt - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Even Series With 8-2 Win Over Nashville - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Name OF Kyle Tucker Most Valuable Player
- Round Rock Express 2019 Full-Season Game Notes
- Round Rock Express Partners with StellarAlgo
- Round Rock Express INF Abraham Toro, RHP Cristian Javier Named Houston Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- River Cats Top Express 7-5 in Season-Ending Heartbreaker