Impact Can't Dig out of Hole vs. Philadelphia
CHESTER, Pennsylvania - The Montreal Impact lost 2-1 against the Philadelphia Union, Sunday, at Subaru Park. The home team took a 2-0 lead thanks to Jamiro Monteiro (39') and Sergio Santos (48'), but Amar Sejdic (65') cut the lead in half for the Impact, a score that nevertheless held until the final whistle. The Montreal Impact will play its next game on Wednesday at 7:30pm EDT (TVA Sports, 98,5, TSN 690) against the New England Revolution, at Red Bull Arena, in Harrison, New Jersey.
Amar Sejdic scored his first career MLS goal.
Mason Toye got his fisrt MLS start with the Impact.
Ballou Tabla played his first minutes of the season.
The Impact put an end to a 254-minute sequence without conceding at home for the Union.
PHI - Jamiro Monteiro (Ilsinho) 39'
PHI - Sergio Santos (Ilsinho, Brenden Aaronson) 48'
MTL - Amar Sejdic (Romell Quioto) 65'
MTL - Samuel Piette 55'
PHI - Olivier Mbaizo 58'
MTL - Victor Wanyama 59'
MTL - Jorge Corrales 71'
PHI - Alejandro Bedoya 76'
PHI - Matt Real 90'+3'
MTL - Gk-Clément Diop; D-Jorge Corrales, Luis Binks, Rod Fanni, Rudy Camacho, Zachary Brault-Guillard (Clément Bayiha 84'); M-Amar Sejdic, Victor Wanyama, Samuel Piette; F-Bojan (Ballou Tabla 56'), Mason Toye (Rommel Quioto 51')
Subs not used: James Pantemis, Jonatham Sirois, Joel Waterman, Karifa Yao, Shamit Shome, Tomas Giraldo
PHI - Gk-Andre Blake; D-Kai Wagner, Mark McKenzie, Jack Elliott, Olivier Mbaizo (Matt Real 61'); M- Warren Creavalle (Sergio Santos MT), Alejandro Bedoya, Brenden Aaronson, Jamiro Monteiro, Ilsinho (Anthony Fontana 72'); F-Kacper Przybylko
Subs not used: Joe Bendik, Matthew Freese, Aurélien Collin, Matej Oravec, Andrew Wooten, Michee Ngalina
"We have to learn as fast as possible how to deal with different moments. We saw a Philadelphia team that only played the long ball. We managed to come back to the score. Logically, we could have got the draw. The team didn't give up."
"We deserved at least the draw. We had two big chances in the second half. We made it hard for ourselves to get something out of the game. It's never easy to transition from a back four to a back five but that is part of football. One minute you play with someone, the next there is an injury or something else. We know how each other play. I think Columbus and Philadelphia are very good teams in our league. Today we played well but we weren't good enough in the final third and in our own box."
"I think that opportunism is what made the difference tonight. We had chances in the second half. I think that they had two chances in the entire game and they scored. We pushed until the end, but little things made the difference. We have to watch tonight's game and analyze what we did right and wrong. There were some good things tonight. Now, we only have two days to get ready for New England and it will be a very important game."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 11, 2020
- Toronto FC Clinches Spot in 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Toronto FC
- Hurtado Stunner Lifts Sporting to Win over Nashville - Sporting Kansas City
- Toronto FC (1) - FC Cincinnati (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire FC Defeat D.C. United 2-1 at Soldier Field, Move Back into Playoff Position - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Defeats Seattle Sounders FC 3-1 on Sunday at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Suffers 3-1 Road Defeat at LAFC, Halting Three-Match Winning Streak - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Edges FC Cincinnati 1-0 - FC Cincinnati
- Impact Can't Dig out of Hole vs. Philadelphia - Club de Foot Montreal
- D.C. United Lose 2-1 to Chicago Fire FC on the Road - D.C. United
- Union remain in second place in Eastern Conference after win - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Defeat New York City FC, 2-1 - New England Revolution
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 2 New England Revolution - New York City FC
- Bono out with Dislocated Finger - Toronto FC
- Timbers Play Host to San Jose Earthquakes Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Take on Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Philadelphia Union at New England Moved to Monday, October 19 at 7:30 p.m. ET - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution's Match vs. Philadelphia Union Rescheduled for October 19 - New England Revolution
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Drops Third Straight in 2-1 Loss to Vancouver - Real Salt Lake
- Cavallini nets winner as 'Caps storm back for crucial win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club de Foot Montreal Stories
- CF Montreal Selects Giuseppe Barone at the MLS SuperDraft
- 91.9 Sports Becomes the New French Radio Broadcaster for CF Montreal
- CF Montreal Acquires Defender Aljaz "Kiki" Struna
- Montreal Impact Becomes Club de Foot Montreal
- Impact Acquires Forward Sunusi Ibrahim