Real Salt Lake Drops Third Straight in 2-1 Loss to Vancouver
PORTLAND, Oregon - Real Salt Lake (4-7-6, 18 points) got to an early lead, but couldn't hang on in a 2-1 loss to Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday at Providence Park in Portland.
Damir Kreilach scored his team-leading seventh goal of the season and Andrew Putna made two second-half saves, but an own-goal and a putback extended RSL's losing streak to three matches.
Postgame quotes from RSL v VAN.
In a defensive battle in the first half, Vancouver held a slight possession advantage and outshot RSL 4-2. However, RSL made its limited opportunities count, with Kreilach scoring in the 37th minute. Maikel Chang crossed the ball to the far post where Justin Meram played it to the middle for Kreilach for a tap-in goal and RSL went into the break with a 1-0 lead.
The physical contest continued in the second half and Vancouver leveled the match in the 71st minute with an own goal off the head of Douglas Martinez. Four minutes later, Lucas Cavallini deposited a rebound for the eventual game-winner, as RSL's efforts to equalize in the waning moments missed the mark.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake returns home to host the Portland Timbers on Wednesday, October 14 at Rio Tinto Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
RSL: Damir Kreilach (Justin Meram, Maikel Chang) 37th minute - Working free on the right side, Maikel Chang whipped a ball to the far post for Justin Meram who centered a first-time ball to Damir Kreilach alone in front of the net for a tap-in. His seventh goal of the season gave RSL the 1-0 lead.
VAN: Own goal (Douglas Martinez) 71st minute - On a free kick in RSL's defensive end, Fredy Montero played the ball into the box. Douglas Martinez went to head the ball clear, but redirected it over Andrew Putna and into the net for an own goal to level the match at 1-1.
VAN: Lucas Cavallini 75th minute - Andrew Putna made a diving stop to thwart Fredy Montero's initial effort, but the rebound spilled to Lucas Cavallini for a goal off the rebound to give Vancouver the 2-1 lead.
- The match was played at Providence Park in Portland due to Covid-19 restrictions in Canada.
- Forward Giuseppe Rossi, forward Sam Johnson, midfielder Everton Luiz and defender Nedum Onuoha were not medically cleared to play.
- Midfielder Albert Rusnak is away on international duty with Slovakia, playing 86 minutes in a shootout victory in a 2020 UEFA Euro Qualifying Playoff against Ireland on Thursday, with UEFA Nations League matches against Scotland on October 11 and Israel on October 14. He will have a 10-day quarantine upon his return.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Date: October 10, 2020
Venue: Providence Park; Portland, Oregon
Weather: Partly cloudy and 55 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 1 0 1
Vancouver Whitecaps 0 2 2
RSL: Damir Kreilach (Justin Meram, Maikel Chang) 37'
VAN: Own goal (Douglas Martinez) 71'
VAN: Lucas Cavallini 75'
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Andrew Putna; Aaron Herrera, Marcelo Silva, Justen Glad, Donny Toia; Pablo Ruiz (Jeizon Ramirez 83'), Justin Portillo; Maikel Chang, Damir Kreilach, Justin Meram (Corey Baird 68'); Douglas Martinez
Subs not used: Zac MacMath, Erik Holt, Tate Schmitt, Nick Besler, Kyle Beckerman, Milan Iloski
Vancouver Whitecaps FC (4-4-2): Evan Bush; Jake Nerwinski, Ranko Veselinovic, Erik Godoy, Ali Adnan; Cristian Dajome (Tosaint Ricketts 87'), Janio Bikel, Leonard Owusu (Michael Baldisimo 66'), Russell Teibert (Ryan Raposo 70'); Fredy Montero (Derek Cornelius 86'), Lucas Cavallini
Subs not used: Bryan Meredith, David Milinkovic, Patrick Metcalfe, Damiano Pecile, Theo Bair
Stats Summary: RSL / VAN
Shots: 8 / 8
Shots on Goal: 3 / 3
Saves: 2 / 2
Corner Kicks: 7 / 6
Fouls: 24 / 18
Offside: 3 / 2
VAN: Fredy Montero (caution) 14'
RSL: Marcelo Silva (caution) 23'
RSL: Pablo Ruiz (caution) 40'
VAN: Janio Bikel (caution) 43'
RSL: Aaron Herrera (caution) 58'
VAN: Lucas Cavallini (caution) 61'
RSL: Douglas Martinez (caution) 76'
VAN: Cristian Dajome (caution) 79'
Referee: Silviu Petrescu
Assistant Referees: Mike Rottersman, Jeffrey Swartzel
4th Official: Farhad Dadkho
VAR: David Gantar
AVAR: Michael Kampmeinert
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 11, 2020
- Toronto FC Clinches Spot in 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Toronto FC
- Hurtado Stunner Lifts Sporting to Win over Nashville - Sporting Kansas City
- Toronto FC (1) - FC Cincinnati (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire FC Defeat D.C. United 2-1 at Soldier Field, Move Back into Playoff Position - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Defeats Seattle Sounders FC 3-1 on Sunday at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Suffers 3-1 Road Defeat at LAFC, Halting Three-Match Winning Streak - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Edges FC Cincinnati 1-0 - FC Cincinnati
- Impact Can't Dig out of Hole vs. Philadelphia - Club de Foot Montreal
- D.C. United Lose 2-1 to Chicago Fire FC on the Road - D.C. United
- Union remain in second place in Eastern Conference after win - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Defeat New York City FC, 2-1 - New England Revolution
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 2 New England Revolution - New York City FC
- Bono out with Dislocated Finger - Toronto FC
- Timbers Play Host to San Jose Earthquakes Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Take on Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Philadelphia Union at New England Moved to Monday, October 19 at 7:30 p.m. ET - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution's Match vs. Philadelphia Union Rescheduled for October 19 - New England Revolution
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Drops Third Straight in 2-1 Loss to Vancouver - Real Salt Lake
- Cavallini nets winner as 'Caps storm back for crucial win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule
- RSL Trio Called to U-23 USMNT Training Camp
- Real Salt Lake Mutually Agrees to Part Ways with Assistant Coach Tyrone Marshall
- Five RSL Organization Members Selected to CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Rosters
- Real Salt Lake Forward Douglas Martinez Called up for Honduras U-23 National Team