IceHogs Edge Stars in Game One
ROCKFORD, IL - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, suffered a 2-1 loss Wednesday against the Rockford IceHogs in game one of a best-of-three first round playoff series at BMO Harris Bank Center.
The Stars and IceHogs skated through a scoreless first period with Texas holding a slight 11-10 shots advantage. Rockford killed off the game's first penalty midway through the frame as Arvid Soderblom made 11 saves in the period. Matt Murray stopped all 10 IceHogs attempts, including five in the final two minutes during Rockford's only power play.
Rockford ended the scoreless deadlock just under seven minutes into the middle period when Lukas Reichel snuck in behind the Stars defense and snapped a shot past Murray on a breakaway. Murray stopped 10 of 11 shots he faced in the stanza, while Soderblom stayed perfect with 21 saves through 40 minutes.
Carson Gicewicz redirected a point shot past Murray 4:06 into the third period to briefly give the IceHogs a 2-0. Texas had a quick answer, however, when Fredrik Karlstrom ripped a wrist shot past Soderblom from the right circle just 47 seconds later. Karlstrom's goal gave him points in four straight games going back to the regular season.
The Stars generated 13 third period shots, but Soderblom just had the one blemish, turning away 33 of 34 Texas attempts in the win. Murray stopped 28 of 30 in the loss.
Game 2 of the best-of-three series is Friday at 7:00 p.m. at BMO Harris Bank Center. If Rockford wins, the IceHogs will advance to the Central Division Semifinals to face the Chicago Wolves. If Texas wins, a deciding Game 3 of the series will be Saturday at 6:00 p.m. in Rockford.
Images from this story
Texas Stars battle the Rockford IceHogs
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 4, 2022
- IceHogs Edge Stars in Game One - Texas Stars
- Islanders Announce Second-Round Playoff Schedule - Bridgeport Islanders
- Bridgeport Islanders Announce Second-Round Playoff Series - Bridgeport Islanders
- Checkers to Face Bridgeport Islanders in Second Round of Playoffs - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Announce 2021-22 Player Award Winners - Manitoba Moose
- Excitement Building for Moose Playoff Run - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins' 2022-23 Home Opener Set for October 14 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Friday Playoff Game Details - Belleville Senators
- G Colten Ellis Returned to T-Birds; F Brayden Guy Signed to ATO - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Love Named AHL Coach of the Year - Stockton Heat
- Stockton's Mitch Love Voted Winner of AHL's Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award for 2021-22 - AHL
- Playoff Preview: Round One vs. Colorado - Henderson Silver Knights
- Capitals Recall Vincent Iorio to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Abbotsford Canucks vs Bakersfield Condors Game Two Preview - Abbotsford Canucks
- Checkers Recall Evan Fitzpatrick, Justin Nachbaur and Max Zimmer - Charlotte Checkers
- Hershey Opens 2022 Calder Cup Playoffs Versus Penguins - Hershey Bears
- IceHogs and Stars Clash in Game 1 of First Round Tonight at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Martin Stops 45 Shots, Condors Stun Canucks 2-1 in Overtime in Game 1 - Abbotsford Canucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.