Hurricanes Acquire Five Pieces for Cotton
LETHBRIDGE, AB - The Lethbridge Hurricanes Hockey Club announced Friday that they have acquired 2005-born defenseman Hunter McInnes along with a third ( '22), fourth ('23), fifth ('22) and sixth ('22) round draft picks from the Vancouver Giants in exchange for overage defenseman Alex Cotton.
McInnes, 16, was originally drafted by the Giants in the ninth round (186th overall) in the 2020 Western Hockey League Prospects Draft. The Nanaimo, British Columbia product has skated in eight games this season with the St. George's School U18 Prep team in the CSSHL where he has totaled three assists along with 12 penalty minutes. The 6'1, 181-pound rearguard has played a total of 64 games with St. Georges at the U15, U16, U17 and U18 levels over the last five seasons where he has collected 42 points (10g-32a) and 64 penalty minutes.
"It's always hard to trade key members of your team, especially someone like Alex who has been a big part of our organization for many years but we are excited to add a good prospect to our 2005-born group and the four draft picks," said Hurricanes General Manager Peter Anholt.
Cotton, 20, was selected by the Hurricanes in the fifth round (99th overall) in the 2016 WHL Draft. The Detroit Red Wings prospect skated in 154 career regular season games with the 'Canes totaling 110 points (33g-77a) along with 100 penalty minutes. The Langley, British Columbia product finished his Hurricanes career eighth all-time in franchise points by a defenseman and fifth all-time in franchise goals by a defenseman.
"We want to thank Alex for all of his contributions over his time with the Hurricanes and wish him all the best in his future," added Anholt.
The Hurricanes welcome the Moose Jaw Warriors tonight at 7:00pm at the ENMAX Centre before embarking on a five- game Saskatchewan and Manitoba road trip beginning Saturday in Swift Current against the Broncos. Tickets for tonight's game can be purchased by visiting the ENMAX Centre Ticket Centre, by calling 403-329-SEAT (7328) or online at www.lethbridgehurricanes.com.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 5, 2021
- Kooper Gizowski, Saige Weinstein Named to U17 Capital City Challenge Roster - Spokane Chiefs
- Hurricanes Acquire Five Pieces for Cotton - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Giants Acquire Detroit Red Wings Prospect Alex Cotton in a Trade with Lethbridge - Vancouver Giants
- Herauf and Watson Named to Hockey Canada U-17 Staff - Regina Pats
- Giants Acquire 2002-Born Defenceman Evan Toth from Calgary - Vancouver Giants
- Calgary Hitmen Trade D Evan Toth to the Vancouver Giants - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Look for Revenge against Thunderbirds After Close Overtime Loss - Tri-City Americans
- Kaden Hammell Named to Hockey Canada Under-17 Roster - Kamloops Blazers
- Molendyk Named to Canada U-17 Roster for Capital City Challenge - Saskatoon Blades
- Adaszynski to Play in Hockey Canada's Captial City Challenge - Calgary Hitmen
- Lind Selected to Play at Capital City Challenge - Red Deer Rebels
- Lukas Dragicevic to Attend Capital City Challenge - Tri-City Americans
- Gameday Preview - Nov 6 at SC - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oil Kings Hill and McKnight Named to Hockey Canada's Staff for Capital City Challenge - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Winnipeg ICE Introduce Murray Chevrolet and Murray Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Community Cruiser - Winnipeg Ice
- Hockey Canada Names 20 WHL Players to Under-17 Roster for Capital City Challenge - WHL
- Sam Oremba and Scott Ratzlaff Named to Team Canada U-17 Capital City Challenge - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Benson Named to Hockey Canada Under 17 Roster for Capital City Challenge - Winnipeg Ice
- Mazden Leslie, Ty Halaburda Named to Canada's Under-17 Roster for Capital City Challenge - Vancouver Giants
- Lodewyk, Guard Invited to 2021 Capital City Challenge - Prince Albert Raiders
- Mallette, Price and Cristall Tapped by Hockey Canada - Kelowna Rockets
- Two Cougars Named to Hockey Canada's Capital City Challenge Roster - Prince George Cougars
- Chiefs Host Everett Silvertips in Second of Four Games Friday Night - Spokane Chiefs
- Wheat Kings Waive Pearce - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Warriors Head to Central Division for Two Games - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Wheat Kings Entertain Rebels - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game #13 Preview: Blades at Raiders - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Hub: November 5 - Portland Winterhawks
- Rebels Falter in Third Period in Tough Loss to Ice - Red Deer Rebels
- Lambos Leads ICE To 4-1 Win Over Red Deer - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.