Hunter Owen Grand Slam Seals Indians Win
INDIANAPOLIS - Hunter Owen launched his fourth career grand slam to seal the Indianapolis Indians win over the Memphis Redbirds on Saturday night, 11-5. With the win, the Indians have clinched a series win in their first regular-season set in history vs. Memphis.
The Indians (22-18) scored all 11 runs on 14 hits, both to set new single-game highs for the season. Facing an early 1-0 deficit following a solo home run by Kramer Robertson in the first inning and another Memphis lead in the fifth, they mounted a comeback for their eighth come-from-behind win this year.
In the bottom of the fourth inning, Craig launched his fourth home run of the season to tie the game, 1-1. Wilmer Difo followed with a single through the left side and Christian Bethancourt followed Craig's lead with a home run of his own over the left field fence to take the 3-1 lead.
Memphis (16-25) retook the lead at 4-3 with a three-run home run from Justin Williams in the next half frame.
The lead did not hold long when Indy loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the sixth, setting up Owen's grand slam. The Indians loaded the bases again with back-to-back singles from Jared Oliva and Chris Sharpe and a walk to Kevin Kramer. Craig knocked in two runs with a double to left-center to extend the Indians lead to 9-4.
The Redbirds took one run back in the top on the seventh inning with a single from Lars Nootbaar to score Robertson.
Indy added two insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth when Jason Delay doubled down the third-base line to score Kramer. Bethancourt then drove in his third run of the game to take the 11-5 lead.
Joe Jacques (W, 2-0) earned his second win of the season after entering in the sixth inning and fanning three batters. Seth Elledge (L, 0-1) took the loss for Memphis giving up six runs on five hits without recording an out in the sixth.
The Indians will take on Memphis again for the series finale at Victory Field on Sunday with first pitch at 1:35 PM ET. RHP Steven Wright (3-2, 4.05) will face LHP Zack Thompson (0-5, 9.55).
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from June 19, 2021
- Iowa Falls 8-1 After Saints Strike Early - Iowa Cubs
- Barnes Throws Five No-Hit Innings, Offense Pounds out 13 Hits in 8-1 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Chasers Fall in Lopsided Loss to Louisville - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Lopez's 4 Hits, Taylor's 4 RBI Send Bats Cruising Past Chasers - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Win Third Consecutive Game, Beating Red Wings 8-6 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Top Rochester American Giants on Negro League Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Hunter Owen Grand Slam Seals Indians Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Cruise Past Jumbo Shrimp 13-7 Saturday - Charlotte Knights
- Jacksonville Succumbs to Six-Run Fifth Inning, Falls 13-7 to Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Stewart Hits Three Doubles, But Hens Fall to Clippers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Redbirds Falter and Fall at Indianapolis - Memphis Redbirds
- Bulls Bats Break the Tides 9-0 - Durham Bulls
- Hart, Lopez Lead WooSox to 6-3 Win over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- Rally Stalled in the 9th - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Syracuse and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Postponed - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets and RailRiders Postponed on Saturday, Doubleheader Scheduled for July 7th - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (21-18) vs. Memphis Redbirds (16-24) - Indianapolis Indians
- June 19 Game Notes: Iowa at St. Paul - Iowa Cubs
- Matchups Set for IHSAA Baseball State Finals - Indianapolis Indians
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: June 19, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds and Stripers Postponed in Gwinnett - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - June 19, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Strong Pitching from Blewett and Bullpen Leads Chasers to Friday Night Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Scores Five Unanswered to Win in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Saints Fall in Extras to Iowa Cubs, 6-5 in 10 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-42) at Iowa Cubs (35-43)
- I-Cubs Sweep Wednesday Night Doubleheader
- Doubleheader Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-40) at Iowa Cubs (33-43)
- Indians Drop Series Opener to Iowa
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-39) at Iowa Cubs (32-43)