Houser Backstops 'Clones to Milestone Victory
Cincinnati, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones (37-9-3-3) pushed their winning streak to seven games with a 4-1 win over the Wheeling Nailers on Thursday evening. Defenseman Eric Knodel, along with forwards Brady Vail, Vas Glotov, and Mike Marnell scored the goals for the Cyclones. Goaltender Michael Houser stopped 34 of the 35 shots he faced in the win, and in the process, became the Cyclones' new franchise leader for wins by a goaltender with 64.
After the Nailers took a 1-0 lead after the first on a goal from defenseman Kevin Spinozzi , Cincinnati evened up the game on the power play early in the second when Knodel launched a slapshot from the point and score to tie the game, 1-1.
Near the midway mark of the frame, Vail was hooked and hauled down to bring about a penalty shot, and on that penalty shot, he skated in on Nailer goaltender Jordan Ruby and scored to give Cincinnati a 2-1 lead.
The Cyclones 2-1 lead held up throughout the remainder of the second, and in the third Cincinnati tacked on an insurance goal at the 7:52 mark, as Glotov skated around the net and threw a shot off a Wheeling defender in front and into the net to give the Cyclones a 3-1 advantage.
Cincinnati sealed their seventh-straight win a little more than three minutes later when Marnell skated into the slot from the left circle following a pass from Glotov, and he beat Ruby to cement the 4-1 Cyclones win.
Cincinnati was outshot, 34-21 on the evening, while the power play converted on 50% of its chances. The Cyclones next travel to Ft. Wayne on Sunday afternoon to take on the Komets. Face-off is scheduled for 5:00pm ET.
The 2018-19 season is HERE, and the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride! Single game, Group, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 21, 2019
- Houser Backstops 'Clones to Milestone Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Houser, Cyclones Hold off Nailers, 4-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Claim Siiro, Sign Legare to ATO - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 21 - ECHL
- Kale Kessy Loaned to AHL Colorado Eagles - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Trade for Goalie, Motte Reassigned to Allen by Minnesota - Allen Americans
- Stanley Cup Returns to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- IceMen Introduce Pucks & Paws Saturday, March 9 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komm Returns, Royals Acquire F Pohlkamp and D Muto from South Carolina - Reading Royals
- Rays Complete Trade for Blueliner Steve Johnson - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thomas Recalled to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, February 21 - Wheeling Nailers
- Farrar Named Reading Royals General Manager - Reading Royals
- Adirondack Announces Pair of Roster Moves - Adirondack Thunder
- Thunder Claims Shootout Win at Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.