Homers Lead Mudcats to Sweep of Lynchburg
Zebulon, N.C. - The Lynchburg Hillcats dropped their third straight against the Carolina Mudcats, falling 13-2 on Tuesday.
The Hillcats (11-9, 43-44) are swept for just the second time this year as the Mudcats (12-8, 51-38) win their sixth consecutive ballgame.
Carolina started the scoring with a four-run second inning. Mario Feliciano walked and Rob Henry reached on a fielder's choice to put two on with none out. That brought up Pat McInerney, who belted a three-run shot for a 3-0 Muddies lead. Carolina then went back-to-back, as Devin Hairston belted his first of the year for a 4-0 edge.
Lynchburg cut the deficit to 4-1 in the third on a Tyler Freeman RBI double.
The Brewers affiliate ran way with the game with an eight-run third inning when they sent 13 hitters to the plate. Payton Henry blasted a three-run home run, while Hairston delivered a two-run triple. Wes Rogers added an RBI double. Hitting for the second time in the inning, Tristin Lutz hit a sacrifice fly to bring home another run, and the final run of the frame scored on a bases-loaded walk.
The eight runs allowed in a single inning are the most given up by the Hillcats this season.
Hillcats starter Juan Hillman (Loss, 3-9) was chased in the midst of Carolina's big fourth inning. The lefty lasted 2.1 frames, allowing a season-high 10 earned runs on eight hits. Riley Echols walked four and surrendered two runs on three hits in 1.2 innings. Jonathan Teaney gave up a run in 1.1 innings of work, while Yapson Gomez recorded four outs without issue. Jodd Carter, an outfielder, was summoned to pitch 1.1 innings of scoreless relief.
Lynchburg's second run came in the fourth inning. Gavin Collins led off with a single and moved to third base on a single from Wilbis Santiago. Connor Smith drove home Collins with an infield single to make the score 12-2.
Carolina added another run in the fifth to cap the scoring at 13-2. Ryan Aguilar led off with a single and eventually scored on a run-scoring single from McInerney.
Matt Hardy started for the Mudcats and logged four innings. He allowed two earned runs on seen hits, striking out four. Phil Bickford (Win, 1-0) worked three scoreless frames, while J.T. Hintzen picked up the final six outs without issue.
The Hillcats will start the second leg of their road trip on Wednesday when they take on the Down East Wood Ducks, A-Adv. affiliate of the Texas Rangers, in the opener of a three-game series. Left-hander Sal Mendez (5-0, 2.22) will start for Down East. Lynchburg has not yet announced a starter. First pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Grainger Stadium.
Max Gun will be on the air at 6:50 p.m. with the Hillcats pre-game show on TuneIn Radio and the Radio434 App.
The Hillcats will return to City Stadium on July 17 for a six-game home stand against Fayetteville and Frederick. Homestand highlights include Winning Wednesday, Thirsty Thursday, Fantastic Friday, Sparkling Saturday, and Sandlot Sunday. Friday's post-game fireworks show will be presented by Pepsi while Saturday's will be presented by Kona Ice.
For tickets or more information, visit lynchburg-hillcats.com, call 434-528-1144, or visit the City Stadium box office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 9, 2019
- Pelicans Rally Past Wood Ducks To Take Series Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Salvage the Series Finale against Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Stiever Dominates in Sweep-Clinching Win over Keys - Winston-Salem Dash
- Stiever, Dash Blank Keys - Frederick Keys
- McInerney, Hairston and Henry Power Mudcats to Series Sweep and Sixth Straight Win - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodpeckers Suffer Eleventh Walk-Off Loss - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- P-Nats Walk-Off Fayetteville for Second Straight Game - Potomac Nationals
- July 9 Transactions and Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Homers Lead Mudcats to Sweep of Lynchburg - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 9 vs. Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wood Ducks and Down East Heating & Air to Recognize Local Hero - Down East Wood Ducks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 9 vs. Frederick) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Frederick Cheese Night Highlights Upcoming Homestand - Frederick Keys
- Dash to Host Hometown Heroes USA Night on July 19 - Winston-Salem Dash
- July 9 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Mudcats Outlast Hillcats 6-5 to Win Fifth Straight Game - Carolina Mudcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.