Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes
San Antonio Missions (54-35) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (48-41)
Game #89/Road Game #45
Sunday, July 7, 1:00 p.m.
Shrine on Airline
MiLB.tv / KONO 860 AM
RHP Luke Barker (0-1, 1.80) vs. RHP Joe Gunkel (1-1, 4.32)
Back-to-Back: With last night's victory, the Missions have now won back-to-back games for the first time in the last 15 games. This ends the longest streak for the Missions in 2019 of not winning back-to-back games.
Getting the Call Up: The Missions have made multiple moves this weekend including two players heading up to Milwaukee and another player going from Biloxi to San Antonio. Right-handed reliever Nate Griep has been transferred from Double-A Biloxi to San Antonio. Missions infielder Mauricio Dubon has been recalled by Milwaukee. This is the first time in his career that he will be playing in the Major Leagues.
All Smiles for Smyly: In his Missions debut last night, Drew Smyly had a fantastic performance against the Baby Cakes. In four innings, he allowed one earned run on three hits while striking out seven batters and surrendering zero walks.
Cory in the House: Missions utility man Cory Spangenberg is crushing the ball during the four-game series down in New Orleans. Throught the first three games of the series, Spangenberg is batting .428 (6-for-14) with three runs scored, a triple, two home runs, and five runs batted in.
All-Star Break: With today marking the final game before the Triple-A All-Star Break, the Missions have the chance to become one of two teams in Triple-A to be 20 games above .500 at the break. With a win, the Missions would be 55-35 at the break. The Columbus Clippers of the International League enter play today at 54-33.
Derby in Relief: Following Drew Smyly in last night's game, Missions pitcher Bubba Derby made his third appearance out of the bullpen this season. As a reliever, he has difficult on opposing teams. With the win in relief last night, he improved to 1-0 as a reliever this season with a 2.45 ERA. He has 14 strikeouts in 11 innings of relief. Out of the bullpen, he is holding opponents to a .190 batting average compared to .243 when he is the starting pitcher.
*WHAT THEY'RE SAYING*
San Antonio Missions Baseball Club (@missionsmilb)
The face you make when you get the call to go to the show for the first time! Congratulations to @Mauriciodubon10 on his first MLB call-up. #ThisIsMyCrew
Milwaukee Brewers (@Brewers)
INF Mauricio Dubon has been recalled from Triple-A San Antonio and RHP Burch Smith has been optioned there.
INF Mauricio Dubon recalled by Milwaukee
RHP Nate Griep transferred to San Antonio from Biloxi
C Tuffy Gosewisch reinstated from Injured List
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 7, 2019
- Isotopes Split Makeshift Doubleheader with the Aviators - Albuquerque Isotopes
- River Cats crush Aces to finish out first half - Sacramento River Cats
- Wyatt Mathisen Named Diamondbacks Player of the Month - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Hit All-Star Break with 9-2 Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Jarritos Triple-A Home Run Derby Kicks off RMHC Triple-A All-Star Game Festivities Monday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Take Down Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Sounds Get Swept in Omaha - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Takes 52-38 Record into Break - Iowa Cubs
- Baby Cakes Earn Series Split with Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Missions Settle for Split in New Orleans - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Snaps OKC's Win Streak - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Drop Finale at Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Steamroll Dodgers in 11-2 Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (38-50) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (41-48) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (36-53) at Iowa Cubs (51-38) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 7, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies Split Twin-Bill with Rainiers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Split Doubleheader with Fresno in Final Games Before All-Star Break - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats Beat Aces Saturday Night in Paradise - Reno Aces
- Duggar buries Aces with grand slam - Sacramento River Cats
- Batten's Slam Helps Chihuahuas Hold On - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.