Game Notes- January 6 vs Atlanta
Overview: The five-game road trip continues for the Cincinnati Cyclones on Wednesday night in Atlanta. Cincinnati is coming off of a 4-2 win over the South Carolina Stingrays on Sunday, marking just their third win in the team's last nine games.
Sunday Recap: The Cincinnati Cyclones Sunday Recap: The Cincinnati Cyclones (15-11-2-2) collected a 4-2 win over the South Carolina Stingrays on Sunday afternoon. Forwards Zach Budish, Nick Huard and Andrew Yogan, and defenseman Cody Carlson scored the goals for the Cyclones, who snap their brief two-game road-losing streak. Cyclones goaltender Brandon Whitney was stellar in goal, coming up with a number of spectacular saves, including a stop on a 2-on-0 shorthanded breakaway in the second period. Overall, he stopped 43 of the 45 shots he faced, earning his sixth win as a Cyclone. The Cyclones were out shot, 43-27, while the power play was held scoreless on all three chances.
Thursday Recap: The Cincinnati Cyclones (14-10-2-2) earned a 4-0 win over the Toledo Walleye on Thursday night. Forwards Nick Huard, Jack Downing, Zach Budish, and Christiaan Minella scored the goals for the Cyclones, while goaltender Brad Thiessen collected Cincinnati's first shutout of the season. Thiessen was perfect in net, stopping all 18 shots he faced to collect his first shutout of his Cyclones career. Cincinnati outshot Toledo, 23-18 on the night, while the power play went 1-for-6.
Previewing Atlanta: The Stingrays Gladiators have won three of their last four games, however are coming off of a 3-2 loss to the Norfolk Admirals on Saturday night. The Gladiators saw some pretty good success in the month of December, and have seen it carry over into January, posting a 9-3-1-0 record over their last 13 games. They are led in scoring by forward Derek Nesbitt, who ranks tenth in League scoring with 17 goals and 13 assists through 32 games played. He is followed by a pair of 22-point scorers in forwards Garry Nunn and Thomas Frazee, who have accounted for five goals and 17 assists each.
Inside the Series: This is the first of two meetings on the season between the Cyclones and Gladiators, with the second coming in Cincinnati on February 24. The Cyclones won the lone meeting between the two sides last season, and hold an 8-6-0-0 edge in the all-time series.
Next Game Preview: The Cyclones head to Norfolk on Friday night, in the first of two meetings this season with the Admirals. Friday also marks the first all-time meeting between Cincinnati and Norfolk, as the Admirals came to the ECHL this past summer, as a part of the ECHL/AHL realignment.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 6, 2016
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with 4-2 Win at Norfolk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Admirals Can't Overcome Three First-Period Goals in 4-2 Defeat - Norfolk Admirals
- Gladiators Route Cyclones with 5-2 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Monarchs Fall in Adirondack, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Aces Practice Outdoors Ahead of Road Trip - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Transactions - January 6 - ECHL
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Assert Successful Waiver Claim for Forward Joey Sides - Reading Royals
- Admirals Sign Winger Janick Asselin - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Colorado's Daavettila Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Eagles Daavettila Named CCM ECHL Player of The - Colorado Eagles
- Goaltender Stephon Williams Assigned to Missouri from Bridgeport - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mychan Returns from AHL - Colorado Eagles
- Wings Host Beast on Kalamazoo's Largest Piece of Art - Kalamazoo Wings
- Hart and Saponari Return from AHL - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavericks' Josh Robinson Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Kansas City Mavericks
- Missouri's Robinson Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Post-Game 'Carrot Toss' to Support Local Non-Profits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Notes- January 6 vs Atlanta - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers to Sport Retro Jerseys - Tulsa Oilers
- Gameday: Adirondack vs. Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- C.J. Motte Named CCM ECHL Rookie of the Month - Elmira Jackals
- Elmira's Motte Named CCM ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- ECHL Today - January 6 - ECHL
- Oilers Edged 4-3 by Mavericks in Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Edge Oilers 4-3 in Shootout Decision - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cincinnati Cyclones Stories
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 5 vs. Kalamazoo
- Cyclones Come Back in Special Teams-Fueled Win
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 4 vs. Kalamazoo
- Cyclones Offense Back on Track with Game 3 Win
- Cyclones Game Preview: Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 3 vs. Kalamazoo