Admirals Can't Overcome Three First-Period Goals in 4-2 Defeat
NORFOLK, Va - The Norfolk Admirals allowed four consecutive goals on Wednesday night in a 4-2 loss to the Orlando Solar Bears at Norfolk Scope Arena.
Just 2:19 in the opening frame, Orlando defenseman Myles Harvey cleared the puck to Matt Rupert near the left side of the boards in the neutral zone. Rupert's short handed off to Erik Bradford who carried the puck into the Admirals' zone along the right side. Bradford carved into the low slot and hooked a shot around the stick side of Norfolk netminder Ty Rimmer for the early 1-0 lead.
The Solar Bears widened the margin to 2-0 on a T.J. Foster shot from the right circle that fluttered wide, but found Rylan Schwartz who batted it inside the right post at 3:04.
Orlando's Spencer McAvoy gained possession after a faceoff and shuffled it to Eric Faille in the left circle. Faille wrapped around the Norfolk cage, but his curling attempt slid loose across the crease to Foster at the opposite post. Foster stuffed the final goal in the first period past Rimmer at 14:55 for the Solar Bears, making it 3-0.
In the second frame, after Brady Vail's faceoff win, defenseman Zach Bell's laser from the right point hit twine at 3:05, putting Orlando up, 4-0. Nic Riopel came in to replace Rimmer.
Norfolk soon answered just 1:41 later when Nick MacNeil emerged from a tie-up in the corner of the Admirals' zone and moved it to Captain Jordan Hill. Hill advanced the puck up to Jonathan Lessard in the neutral zone, and Lessard took it the distance before snapping a goal to the left side of Solar Bears goalie Rob Madore. The Admirals' first marker of the night came at 4:46 of the second to shave Orlando's lead to 4-1.
The Admirals notched another when Michael Pelech received the puck from Hill who sparked the break with a great defensive play and pass from his knees. Pelech traveled into the Solar Bears' zone and left it atop the slot for defenseman Samuel Noreau. Noreau lined a wrister into the twine to cut Orlando's lead in half at 8:28 in the second period. Neither team was able to score in the remainder of regulation, and the final score went 4-2 to the Solar Bears.
Norfolk's Nic Riopel kept out all 14 attempts after replacing Rimmer early in the second period, who blocked 10 of 14 shots on net. Orlando's Rob Madore saved 39 of 41 Admirals shots. Both teams went scoreless during two power-play opportunities.
The Admirals will face the Cincinnati Cyclones at home this Friday at 7:30 p.m.
Three Stars of the Game:
1. ORL - 17 T.J. Foster
2. ORL - 13 Rylan Schwartz
3. NOR - 41 Jordan Hill
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 6, 2016
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with 4-2 Win at Norfolk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Admirals Can't Overcome Three First-Period Goals in 4-2 Defeat - Norfolk Admirals
- Gladiators Route Cyclones with 5-2 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Monarchs Fall in Adirondack, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Aces Practice Outdoors Ahead of Road Trip - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Transactions - January 6 - ECHL
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Assert Successful Waiver Claim for Forward Joey Sides - Reading Royals
- Admirals Sign Winger Janick Asselin - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Colorado's Daavettila Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Eagles Daavettila Named CCM ECHL Player of The - Colorado Eagles
- Goaltender Stephon Williams Assigned to Missouri from Bridgeport - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mychan Returns from AHL - Colorado Eagles
- Wings Host Beast on Kalamazoo's Largest Piece of Art - Kalamazoo Wings
- Hart and Saponari Return from AHL - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavericks' Josh Robinson Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Kansas City Mavericks
- Missouri's Robinson Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Post-Game 'Carrot Toss' to Support Local Non-Profits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Notes- January 6 vs Atlanta - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers to Sport Retro Jerseys - Tulsa Oilers
- Gameday: Adirondack vs. Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- C.J. Motte Named CCM ECHL Rookie of the Month - Elmira Jackals
- Elmira's Motte Named CCM ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- ECHL Today - January 6 - ECHL
- Oilers Edged 4-3 by Mavericks in Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Edge Oilers 4-3 in Shootout Decision - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Hartford Wolfpack Loan Forward Shawn McBride to Norfolk
- Three Second Period Goals Propel Florida to a 4-2 Win over Norfolk
- Admirals Slide Past Orlando Behind Halverson's 49 Saves
- Admirals Acquire Defenseman Coughlin from Maine
- Admirals Score First, But Fall to Everblades