Game Day Preview: KGN vs OTT
The Kingston Frontenacs (27-13-3-0) and Ottawa 67's (20-23-1-3) will chop up Limestone City ice on Family Day this afternoon at 2:00 pm at the Leon's Centre. This will be the second of three matchups over five days between the two squads, with Kingston beating their division rivals 7-2 last Friday night at Leon's Centre. Second place Kingston enters action 13 points up on Ottawa, 3 points behind the Hamilton Bulldogs in the East Division in the eighth game between the two, with Kingston holding a 5-1-1-0 record.
The Frontenacs lost in Hamilton Saturday, stalling a three-game win streak and handing coach Luca Caputi's team their fourth loss in their last ten games. Averaging seven goals scored during the three wins, Kingston's high-octane offence (fourth-most goals in the OHL - 180) was held in check, scoring twice during the 8-2 loss versus the Bulldogs.
Kingston's 7-2 win over Ottawa in the last battle is part of a current five-game winless skid (0-4-0-1) for the Barber Poles, who have four wins in their previous ten games. Rookie goaltender Aidan Spooner earned his sixth win in seven starts in the Kingston crease. Fronts leading scorer Lucas Edmonds had four points (2G,2A), with Shane Wright and Jordan Frasca each adding a goal and two assists.
Shane Wright and Lucas Edmonds have both scored five goals and have enjoyed success against Ottawa in their games this season. Edmonds (5G,6A) and Wright (5G,7A) have 12 points to lead the way. Injured forward Martin Chromiak had registered six goals against the 67's.
Former 67's defenceman Alec Belanger played his first game against his former mates since a January 10th trade brought him to Kingston. Lucas Peric spent his first 110 games in an Ottawa uniform before being acquired by Kingston and has a goal and two assists in the season-series against his former mates this season. The overage defender is amongst the OHL's Top-20 blueline scorers (28pts) and sits fifth in goals (11) from the point, adding a pair in Saturday's loss in Hamilton.
Ottawa's Vinzenz Rohrer (31 pts) is tied for eighth in OHL rookie scoring with 13 goals and has three points (2G,1A) versus Kingston this season. Freshmen Frontenacs Paul Ludwinski, Chris Thibodeau, Paul Hughes, and Jackson Stewart all registered goals in their rookie seasons versus Ottawa. Ludwinski scored his first OHL goal and added two assists for a three-point effort in the season-opener on October 8 in Kingston during an 8-1 Fronts win.
KGN - 25.4% ( 2nd Eastern Conf /4th OHL)
OTT - 16.9% (9th Eastern Conf /15th OHL)
KGN - 75.8% (7th Eastern Conf /15th OHL)
OTT - 79.1% (8th Eastern Conf / 16th OHL)
Lucas Edmonds is 1st OHL assists (53), 4th OHL points (76), 1st OHL PP assists (21)
Edmonds on an eight-game point streak (4G,12A), longest assist streak in OHL (eight games)
Jordan Frasca on an eight-game point streak (8G,8A)
Frasca (31) fourth-overall OHL - one of eight players with 30+ goals - 13 PPG's 2nd most in OHL.
Matthew Soto, Martin Chromiak, Maddox Callens day-to-day
Lucas Peric on three-game point streak (2G,3A)
General Manager Kory Cooper Birthday (45yrs)
Team Stat Pack - GP (43)
(27-13-3-0) 57 pts (2nd East Div / 4th Eastern Conf / 5th OHL
Goals - Frasca (31), Edmonds (24), Arcuri (23)
Assists - Edmonds (53), Wright (35), Frasca (30)
Points - Edmonds (76), Frasca (61), Wright (55)
PIMs - Haché (57), Poole (42), Budnick (39)
Shots- Edmonds (197), Frasca (149), Wright (148)
Powerplay Points - Edmonds (27), Frasca, (21), Wright (19)
Rookie Points - Ludwinski (26), Soto (21), Thibodeau (8)
Defence Points - Peric (28), Murray (23), Bélanger (11)
Plus/Minus - Frasca (+26), Murray, Edmonds (+19)
On The Front
The Fronts will play back in Ottawa on Wednesday, February 23 at 7:00 pm before a Friday, February 25th matchup with the Oshawa Generals at 7:00 pm. The game will be the Frontenacs 12th annual Military Appreciation Game and the Fronts will wear their CADPAT jerseys.
Tickets are available at ticketmaster.ca or the venue box office. The Capacity at Leon's Centre has increased to 50%, and the venue should be operating at 100% as of March 1, 2022.
Listen to all the action on 104.3 Fresh Radio with Frontenacs play-by-play voice Jim Gilchrist. Fans can also follow along with team social media channels at Twitter, Facebook and IG for updates. Watch the games on YourTV Kingston (channel 700) or CHL TV/OHL Live.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from February 21, 2022
- Generals Explode Offensively in Win over IceDogs - Oshawa Generals
- Frontenacs Roll Past 67's 7-1 on Family Day - Kingston Frontenacs
- Steelheads Earn a Point on Family Day - Mississauga Steelheads
- 67's Come up Short in Kingston - Ottawa 67's
- Forgettable Family Day Extends Attack Losing Streak to 7 - Owen Sound Attack
- Spitfires Double up Saginaw 6-3 - Windsor Spitfires
- Spirit Fall to Spitfires, 6-3 - Saginaw Spirit
- First-Place Firebirds Cruise to 7-3 Matinee Win, Extend Point-Streak to Nine Games - Flint Firebirds
- Logan Morrison Leads Bulldogs to 7-2 Victory - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rangers Top Red-Hot Knights in OT - Kitchener Rangers
- Hamilton Flexes Offensive Prowess, Wins 7-2 on Family Day - Erie Otters
- IceDogs Fall to Oshawa on Family Day - Niagara IceDogs
- Barber Poles Spend Family Day in Kingston - Ottawa 67's
- Generals Look for Family Day Win over IceDogs - Oshawa Generals
- Mack Guzda Named OHL Goaltender of the Week - Barrie Colts
- Ethan Burroughs Named Huron Tractor Player of the Week - Owen Sound Attack
- First-Place Firebirds Get Ready for Flint Generals Night, Family 'FUN'Day this Weekend at Home - Flint Firebirds
- Game Day Preview: KGN vs OTT - Kingston Frontenacs
- Game Preview: Guelph Storm vs Owen Sound Attack - Guelph Storm
- First-Place Firebirds Begin Three-Game Series with Rival Sting on Family Day Monday - Flint Firebirds
- Guzda and Stranges Named OHL Top Performers of the Week - OHL
- Midwest Rivals Pack the Week as Attack Look to Get Back on Winning Track - Owen Sound Attack
- Spirit Travel to Windsor Monday Afternoon - Saginaw Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.