Franco Homers in 6-4 Loss on Tuesday
Bowling Green, KY - Wander Franco connected for his fourth home run of the season, but the Bowling Green Hot Rods couldn't hold an early lead as they fell 6-4 to the South Bend Cubs on Tuesday night at Bowling Green Ballpark. The Hot Rods fell to 21-17 and look to avoid a sweep in Wednesday morning's contest, which will have a 10:35 a.m. first pitch.
For the second-straight start, Hot Rods starter Shane Baz allowed a first-inning run. He walked D.J. Artis to begin the game, then struck out Cole Roederer as Artis stole second. After a ground ball moved the runner to third, Jonathan Sierra lined a single to left, scoring Artis to put South Bend up 1-0.
The Hot Rods immediately responded off South Bend starter Derek Casey, as Franco and Chris Betts hit consecutive one-out singles to put runners at the corners. Connor Hollis rolled an infield single to third that scored Franco, tying the game at one apiece.
An inning later, Bowling Green grabbed the lead. Roberto Alvarez led off with a single and advanced to second when Osmy Gregorio was hit by a pitch. After Michael Smith laid down a sacrifice bunt, Ford Proctor doubled to left-center, scoring both runners to give the Hot Rods a 3-1 lead.
South Bend got an unearned run back in the third following an Eric Gonzalez leadoff walk. Gonzalez advanced to second on a throwing error by Alvarez, then scored when Baz knocked down a comebacker but threw errantly to first, allowing Gonzalez to score on the second Bowling Green error of the inning, making it 3-2 Hot Rods.
In the fourth, Casey set down the first two Hot Rods of the inning but Franco unloaded on the first pitch of his at bat, crushing a long home run down the right-field line. His fourth home run of the year cleared the right field concourse and left Bowling Green Ballpark, restoring the Hot Rods' two-run cushion.
In the sixth, Nick Sprengel relieved Baz and retired the first man he faced, but soon ran into trouble. Andy Weber hit an infield single, then Sierra walked. Nelson Velazquez doubled into the left-field corner, scoring Weber. Tyler Durna followed with a sacrifice fly to center that scored Velazquez, tying the game at four each.
An inning later, the Cubs took the lead as Delvin Zinn drew a leadoff walk and moved to third on Chris Morel's double. Both men scored on Gonzalez's two-run single, giving South Bend a 6-4 advantage.
Trey Cumbie entered the game in the eighth and worked around extra-base hits in both the eighth and ninth innings to keep the game within reach. However, Bowling Green's last nine hitters were retired in order as the Hot Rods fell 6-4.
Baz went 5.0 innings, allowing two runs (one earned) on three hits, walking two and striking out five in a no-decision. Sprengel (0-2) went 2.0 innings, allowing four runs on four hits, picking up the loss in addition to his third blown save. Cumbie threw 2.0 shutout innings, allowing two hits and a walk while striking out one.
Notes: Franco picked up his eighth multi-hit game and his second consecutive multi-hit contest...Franco tied Chris Betts and Kaleo Johnson for the team lead with his fourth homer, his first since April 25th vs. Lansing...Alvarez had his ninth multi-hit game of the year...Proctor collected his third multi-RBI game of the season...Grant Witherspoon and Smith each recorded their second outfield assists of the season...They are both tied with Tony Pena for the team lead with two apiece...Bowling Green now has eight outfield assists on the season...Sprengel has blown a save in three consecutive outings, also taking the loss in two of those outings...BG is 18-9 against right-handed starters...The Hot Rods have lost the first two games of a series for the first time this season...Bowling Green is 87-80 all-time against South Bend, 44-41 at Bowling Green Ballpark...The Hot Rods will square off in the final game of the series and the home stand against South Bend on Wednesday morning with a 10:35 a.m. first pitch...RHP Cam Sanders (2-0, 2.48) will pitch for South Bend, while Bowling Green's starter is still to be announced...It will be the third and final Education Day of the season at Bowling Green Ballpark...Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM, as well as, with their smart phones via the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Beloit Earns Series Win after Split of Doubleheader - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Play in Front of 53rd Sellout in Stadium History - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs Split DH in Front of Sellout Crowd - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Avoid Sweep with Historic 17-0 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings to Honor Fallen Fire Fighter During Homestand - Clinton LumberKings
- Cabezas Collars Bandits in Combined Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Akins Home Run Carries Kernels to 1-0 Win over River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Top of Order Explodes to Sweep TinCaps - Lake County Captains
- Walk-Off Walk Finishes Sweep, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Aw, 'Nuts: 'Caps Swept by Lansing - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Hot Hitting Not Enough in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- What Do You Know? Another Camels Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Loons Top Dragons 8-3 to Take Series Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 15 at Lake County (Game 37) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Wednesday (10:35 AM Game) - Dayton Dragons
- Infielder De Los Santos, Prospect Catcher Moreno Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Comeback Cubs Rally to Beat Hot Rods for 5th Straight Win - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Fall 6-5 in 11 Innings Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Beloit Wins Extra Innings Affair in Peoria - Beloit Snappers
- Franco Homers in 6-4 Loss on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020