TinCaps Game Notes: May 15 at Lake County (Game 37)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (15-21, 7th East) @ Lake County Captains (21-15, T-1st East)
RHP Gabe Mosser vs. RHP Cody Morris
Wednesday, May 15 * Classic Park (Eastlake, OH) * First Pitch 11:00 AM (Game 37 / 139)
LISTEN: John Nolan (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
TUESDAY NIGHT: For the second night in a row, the TinCaps lost by a run at Lake County, 5-4. Xavier Edwards was 3-for-5 with a pair of RBI singles and Tucupita Marcano added a 2-run single during a 3-run fourth inning that gave the 'Caps a 4-3 lead at the time. But the Captains rallied to tie the game in the sixth and go in front for good in the eighth with a run scoring on a wild pitch.
X FACTOR: Infielder Xavier Edwards leads the Midwest League in Batting Average (.368) and OBP (.433), ranks 3rd in Stolen Bases (11), and 9th in OPS (.860). Edwards also has the 3rd lowest strikeout rate in the MWL (7%) and the lowest swinging strike rate (2%). His 1.40 BB/K ratio is 2nd best. Edwards is presently on a 9-game hitting streak and a 17-game on-base streak.
MWL PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Last Monday the Midwest League announced that infielder Tucupita Marcano was the MWL Player of the Week for April 29-May 5.In 6 games that week, Marcano slashed .538/.586/.654 as he went 14-for-26 with two walks, a hit by pitch, a double, a triple, 3 RBIs, and a stolen base. Marcano had a 16-game on-base and 10-game hitting streak (the longest such streaks among TinCaps this season) end on Saturday in Beloit.
RUIZ RIPPING IT: Outfielder Agustin Ruiz is tied for 3rd in the MWL in RBIs (24) and 7th in Doubles (11). Ruiz has a 29% Line Drive % on batted balls - 3rd highest in the Midwest League.
POWER OUTAGE: The TinCaps rank 15th out of 16 MWL teams for home runs with 11 (South Bend has 10). Fort Wayne has hit only 1 homer over its last 16 games - a Dwanya Williams-Sutton blast at Beloit last Thursday.
LOPEZ LOOKING TO GET HOT: With 2 hits Monday, infielder Justin Lopez had his 2nd multi-hit game of the season and his 1st since April 7.
HUNTING HITS: Blake Hunt has the 17th lowest K% in the MWL (16%), but also the 11th lowest BABIP (.222). A typical BABIP is about .300.
CHANGE IN APPROACH: Infielder Luis Almanzar has walked in 16% of his plate appearances this season. That's the 12th highest BB% in the MWL. It's also a jump from his 9% BB% in 63 games with the TinCaps in 2018. That said, Almanzar's K% has risen as well from 31% last year to 35% this year.
SOLO SHOT: Since returning from the Injured List on May 4, infielder Lee Solomon is 8-for-29 (.276) with 4 walks (.364 OBP) and 7 RBIs in 8 games. Solomon grew up in Columbus, Ohio, about 2 hours and 25 minutes from here.
WALK & RUN: Outfielder Jawuan Harris has walked in 19% of his plate appearances this season. That's the 3rd highest BB% in the MWL (and a jump from 14% for him last year as a rookie). Harris is also tied for 9th in Runs (21).
ALUMNI REPORT: 2016 TinCaps catcher Austin Allen was called up by the Padres on Saturday. After making his MLB debut that night as a pinch-hitter, Allen started on Sunday and got his first big-league hit. He's the 181st former Fort Wayne player to go from the 260 to The Show.
CLASSIC MEMORIES: The TinCaps opened their 2018 season here at Classic Park. Nick Margevicius, a native of nearby North Royalton, Ohio, got the start. Margevicius, who also pitched here in high school for Saint Ignatius, made the Padres' big-league rotation this season.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Beloit Earns Series Win after Split of Doubleheader - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Play in Front of 53rd Sellout in Stadium History - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs Split DH in Front of Sellout Crowd - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Avoid Sweep with Historic 17-0 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings to Honor Fallen Fire Fighter During Homestand - Clinton LumberKings
- Cabezas Collars Bandits in Combined Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Akins Home Run Carries Kernels to 1-0 Win over River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Top of Order Explodes to Sweep TinCaps - Lake County Captains
- Walk-Off Walk Finishes Sweep, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Aw, 'Nuts: 'Caps Swept by Lansing - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Hot Hitting Not Enough in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- What Do You Know? Another Camels Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Loons Top Dragons 8-3 to Take Series Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 15 at Lake County (Game 37) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Wednesday (10:35 AM Game) - Dayton Dragons
- Infielder De Los Santos, Prospect Catcher Moreno Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Comeback Cubs Rally to Beat Hot Rods for 5th Straight Win - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Fall 6-5 in 11 Innings Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Beloit Wins Extra Innings Affair in Peoria - Beloit Snappers
- Franco Homers in 6-4 Loss on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Minor League Baseball President Pat O'Conner Visits Parkview Field During Midwest League Fall Meetings
- TinCaps to Enhance Parkview Field Experience in 2020
- Former Fort Wayne Players in 2019 MLB Postseason
- 57 Former Fort Wayne Players in Major Leagues in 2019
- Fort Wayne Nominated for Minor League Baseball's Patriot Award