Beloit Earns Series Win after Split of Doubleheader
oria, IL - Beloit wrapped up a 5-game set against the oria Chiefs on Wednesday, winning the series 3-2. The Snappers finished out the series and the road trip with another doubleheader against the Chiefs, as Beloit split the final two games today.
In Game 1, the Snappers took the early lead and never looked back to win a nailbiter 2-1. Beloit would get another excellent game of starting pitching from starter Reid Birlingmair who was terrific throwing five and two-thirds innings of strong baseball.
In the fourth, the Snappers would get the scoring started with two runs in the top half of the inning. Cobie Vance would start the inning off with a single and Devin Foyle would walk to put runners on first and second with no outs.
After another single by Joseph na to load the bases, Cooper Goldby would single sharply to centerfield to plate both Vance and Foyle giving the Snappers the early 2-0 lead.
From there, Reid Birlingmair would take over and was absolutely terrific on the day throwing five and two-third innings, surrendering no runs, three hits, and striking out four.
Birlingmair would then give way to Eric MariÃ±ez who would shut the door to earn the four out save and secure the victory. The save was MariÃ±ez's sixth save on the year, as he struck out three and only gave up one run to preserve the win for Beloit.
In Game 2, the Snappers would give the ball to newcomer, Mike Murray, who would get his first start of the season. However, it would not be the picture perfect start Murray was hoping for, as oria got a quick five runs to knock Murray out the game in the third.
Beloit would also struggle to get the bats going in Game 2, as the team failed to score and only were able to muster up 5 hits against oria's Alvaro Seijas who got the complete game shutout.
The offense in Game 2 was paced by Devin Foyle who went 2-2 with a walk in the second game of today's contests. Foyle ended the day going 3-4 with 2 BB and a run scored.
The Snappers will be back in action tomorrow to open up a nine-game homestand in eight days at Pohlman Field. Starter Bryce Nightengale is slated to get the start tomorrow against the Kane County Cougars with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 P.M.
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics since 2013. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362-2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Beloit Earns Series Win after Split of Doubleheader - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Play in Front of 53rd Sellout in Stadium History - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs Split DH in Front of Sellout Crowd - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Avoid Sweep with Historic 17-0 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings to Honor Fallen Fire Fighter During Homestand - Clinton LumberKings
- Cabezas Collars Bandits in Combined Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Akins Home Run Carries Kernels to 1-0 Win over River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Top of Order Explodes to Sweep TinCaps - Lake County Captains
- Walk-Off Walk Finishes Sweep, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Aw, 'Nuts: 'Caps Swept by Lansing - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Hot Hitting Not Enough in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- What Do You Know? Another Camels Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Loons Top Dragons 8-3 to Take Series Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 15 at Lake County (Game 37) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Wednesday (10:35 AM Game) - Dayton Dragons
- Infielder De Los Santos, Prospect Catcher Moreno Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Comeback Cubs Rally to Beat Hot Rods for 5th Straight Win - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Fall 6-5 in 11 Innings Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Beloit Wins Extra Innings Affair in Peoria - Beloit Snappers
- Franco Homers in 6-4 Loss on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Beloit Snappers Stories
- Snappers lose heartbreaker to force rubber match tomorrow
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap
- Game Postponed Until Tomorrow
- Snappers can't complete comeback in slugfest loss to Quad Cities