Cabezas Collars Bandits in Combined Shutout
DAR RAPIDS, IOWA - Andrew Cabezas tallied a career-high nine strikeouts over seven innings of work and combined with Derek Molina to pitch the Cedar Rapids Kernels to a 1-0 three-hit shutout Wednesday against the Quad Cities River Bandits in front of 2,108 fans at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium.
Cabezas (1-3) earned the victory for the Kernels (17-22) after recording the longest start of his professional career. He retired 15 of the first 16 batters that he faced and allowed only one baserunner to reach scoring position in his team-high third quality start of the season. Cabezas conceded just one hit and did not surrender any walks.
Molina notched his fourth save in as many chances by keeping Quad Cities (23-12) scoreless in the eighth and ninth innings. He left runners stranded at first and second base in each frame and finished the contest with a strikeout to secure a 2-2 split in a four-game, three-day series.
During the fourth inning, Jared Akins powered Cedar Rapids to its 1-0 winning margin. Akins lined a solo home run into the Plumbers & Pipefitters Pavilion for his first Midwest League home run.
Brett Daniels (0-3) remained winless with the River Bandits despite tossing a quality start. Daniels yielded one run, four hits, and three walks in six innings. He also posted a team-high three strikeouts.
The 2019 season continues on the road as the Cedar Rapids Kernels visit the Clinton LumberKings for a four-game series to close the week. Thursday's series opener will start at 6:30 p.m., and Cedar Rapids right-hander Blayne Enlow (3-3, 5.52) will square off with Clinton right-hander Chris Vallimont (2-2, 2.52). Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will call the contest on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY and also online at www.kmryradio.com and www.kernels.com.
Cedar Rapids' next homestand runs from Monday, May 20 through Monday, May 27. Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Beloit Earns Series Win after Split of Doubleheader - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Play in Front of 53rd Sellout in Stadium History - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs Split DH in Front of Sellout Crowd - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Avoid Sweep with Historic 17-0 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings to Honor Fallen Fire Fighter During Homestand - Clinton LumberKings
- Cabezas Collars Bandits in Combined Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Akins Home Run Carries Kernels to 1-0 Win over River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Top of Order Explodes to Sweep TinCaps - Lake County Captains
- Walk-Off Walk Finishes Sweep, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Aw, 'Nuts: 'Caps Swept by Lansing - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Hot Hitting Not Enough in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- What Do You Know? Another Camels Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Loons Top Dragons 8-3 to Take Series Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 15 at Lake County (Game 37) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Wednesday (10:35 AM Game) - Dayton Dragons
- Infielder De Los Santos, Prospect Catcher Moreno Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Comeback Cubs Rally to Beat Hot Rods for 5th Straight Win - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Fall 6-5 in 11 Innings Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Beloit Wins Extra Innings Affair in Peoria - Beloit Snappers
- Franco Homers in 6-4 Loss on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.