Chiefs Fall 6-5 in 11 Innings Tuesday
Peoria, IL - Nolan Gorman hit his league-leading ninth homerun of the season but the Peoria Chiefs fell 6-5 in 11 innings to the Beloit Snappers Tuesday night. The Chiefs fall to 16-19 on the season with a double header on Wednesday at 11:00 a.m.
The Chiefs got on the board in the bottom of the first against Snappers starter Chase Cohen. Delvin Perez led off with a single and Nolan Gorman walked to put runners on first and second. After a successful double steal, Perez scored on a sac fly from Ivan Herrera for the 1-0 lead.
The Chiefs fell behind 3-1 as Cole Aker walked two and allowed two doubles in the third. The Chiefs regained the lead in the bottom of the inning. Perez led off with a walk and Gorman tied the game at three with a two-run homerun, his ninth of the season which leads the Midwest League. Herrera drew a walk but was thrown out at second on a fielder's choice and Brady Whalen reached first. With two outs, Leandro Cedeno doubled to score Whalen to push the Chiefs ahead 4-3.
Beloit went right to work tying the game at four in the top of the fourth. With one out, John Jones hit his third homerun of the season before Franyel Casadilla retired the next two hitters to keep the game tied.
The game continued to go back and forth as the Chiefs regained the lead in the bottom of the fourth. With one out Perez doubled and scored on a triple by Gorman who was sent home by manager Erick Almonte in an attempt at an inside-the-park home run but he was thrown out.
The Snappers tied the game in the top of the eighth against Freddy Pacheco. Beloit loaded the bases with two walks and a single before tying the game with another walk.
Neither team scored in the ninth or 10th. Beloit won the game in the 11th as ghost runner Marcos Brito scored on a 6-4-3 double play for a 6-5 lead.
Aker took the no decision, pitching 2 2/3 innings, allowing three runs on one hit with three walks and three strikeouts. Casadilla pitched 3 1/3 innings allowing one run on three hits with two walks and one strikeout. Pacheco blew his first save of the season, pitching 1 2/3 allowing one run on two hits with three walks and three strikeouts. Evan Sisk (1-1) took his first loss of the season, pitching three innings while allowing one unearned run on two hits with one walk and three strikeouts. Fabian Blanco pitched the final 1/3 of an inning, notching one strikeout.
Th eteams finish the five-game series with a doubleheader Wednesday at 11:05 a.m. Promotions can be found on the team website or social media accounts. Peoria will start LH Diego Cordero (2-1, 1.45) and RH Alvaro Seijas (1-4, 2.70) against Beloit RH Reid Birlingmair (1-0, 3.75) and RH Bryce Nightengale (1-0, 4.50). The broadcasts can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 10:50 a.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Beloit Earns Series Win after Split of Doubleheader - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Play in Front of 53rd Sellout in Stadium History - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs Split DH in Front of Sellout Crowd - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Avoid Sweep with Historic 17-0 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings to Honor Fallen Fire Fighter During Homestand - Clinton LumberKings
- Cabezas Collars Bandits in Combined Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Akins Home Run Carries Kernels to 1-0 Win over River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Top of Order Explodes to Sweep TinCaps - Lake County Captains
- Walk-Off Walk Finishes Sweep, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Aw, 'Nuts: 'Caps Swept by Lansing - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Hot Hitting Not Enough in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- What Do You Know? Another Camels Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Loons Top Dragons 8-3 to Take Series Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 15 at Lake County (Game 37) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Wednesday (10:35 AM Game) - Dayton Dragons
- Infielder De Los Santos, Prospect Catcher Moreno Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Comeback Cubs Rally to Beat Hot Rods for 5th Straight Win - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Fall 6-5 in 11 Innings Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Beloit Wins Extra Innings Affair in Peoria - Beloit Snappers
- Franco Homers in 6-4 Loss on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.