TinCaps Hot Hitting Not Enough in Series Finale
STLAKE, Ohio - The TinCaps pounded out 11 hits (five extra-base hits) and had four players with two hits, but lost 10-6 to Lake County (Cleveland Indians affiliate) on Wednesday afternoon in the final game of a three-game series at Classic Park.
The Captains (22-15) raced out to a three-run lead after the first, scoring three runs on five singles and an error. Will Benson, Ruben Cardenas, and Miguel Jerez drove in the three runs in the frame.
Fort Wayne (15-22) responded with a single run in the second inning via a Blake Hunt double that drove home Dwanya Williams-Sutton. Hunt is tied for second on the TinCaps with six doubles this season. The catcher also finished the game with two hits, his first multi-hit game since April 24 against Bowling Green (13-game span).
Lake County scored again in the bottom of the second inning on a Benson two-run home run. The 2016 first-round pick is tied for second in the Midwest League with seven home runs this season.
The TinCaps scored once in the sixth when Jawuan Harris singled, stole second, and scored on a fielding error. The Captains answered with two runs of their own in the bottom of the fifth, a half inning that featured three hits, a hit batter, a double steal, and two fielding errors.
Justin Lopez smacked a one-out, line drive home run in the sixth inning, marking the first home run of the season for the 19-year-old native of Venezuela. Yet, the Captains scored three more times in the sixth to put the game out of reach. The runs came home via a walk, three hits, and a fielding error.
Fort Wayne completed the afternoon's scoring with three runs in the seventh. Xavier Edwards (single), Tucupita Marcano (single) and Williams-Sutton (triple) each had hits in the inning. All three finished the game with two hits. Edwards now has hits in ten straight games (tied for the longest streak on the TinCaps this season) and has reached in 18 straight games (the longest streak on the TinCaps this season).
The TinCaps begin their longest homestand of the season, an eight-gamer, on Thursday.
Thursday, May 16 vs. Lansing (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Joey Cantillo
- Lugnuts Probable Starter: RHP Sean Wymer
Watch: Comcast 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Beloit Earns Series Win after Split of Doubleheader - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Play in Front of 53rd Sellout in Stadium History - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs Split DH in Front of Sellout Crowd - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Avoid Sweep with Historic 17-0 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings to Honor Fallen Fire Fighter During Homestand - Clinton LumberKings
- Cabezas Collars Bandits in Combined Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Akins Home Run Carries Kernels to 1-0 Win over River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Top of Order Explodes to Sweep TinCaps - Lake County Captains
- Walk-Off Walk Finishes Sweep, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Aw, 'Nuts: 'Caps Swept by Lansing - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Hot Hitting Not Enough in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- What Do You Know? Another Camels Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Loons Top Dragons 8-3 to Take Series Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 15 at Lake County (Game 37) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Wednesday (10:35 AM Game) - Dayton Dragons
- Infielder De Los Santos, Prospect Catcher Moreno Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Comeback Cubs Rally to Beat Hot Rods for 5th Straight Win - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Fall 6-5 in 11 Innings Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Beloit Wins Extra Innings Affair in Peoria - Beloit Snappers
- Franco Homers in 6-4 Loss on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps to Become "Manzanas Luchadores de Fort Wayne" for Select Games in 2020
- TinCaps Seek Military Salutes for 2020 Season
- TinCaps Auctioning off Game-Worn Jerseys
- TinCaps Players Competing to Qualify for 2020 Olympics
- Parkview Field Maintains No. 1 Class A Ballpark Ranking