Akins Home Run Carries Kernels to 1-0 Win over River Bandits
dar Rapids, IA - A solo home run from Jared Akins in the bottom of the fourth inning propelled the dar Rapids Kernels to a 1-0 victory over the Quad Cities River Bandits in the series finale on Wednesday afternoon. The teams split the four game set 2-2.
The game was scoreless entering the bottom of the fourth inning. Bandits starter Brett Daniels struck out Ben Rodriguez to open the frame before Akins' decisive swing. The designated hitter for the Kernels was late on a fastball, but muscled it over the left field wall just inside of the foul pole in left field to give dar Rapids the 1-0 lead.
The River Bandits could not solve dar Rapids starter Andrew Cabezas who allowed only a Jonathan Lacroix single over 7.0 scoreless innings. He struck out nine and did not walk a batter in the game.
Quad Cities had a few chances to tie or take the lead against reliever Derek Molina, but could never cash in. The Bandits put two on base with two outs in the eighth inning before Austin Dennis popped out in foul territory to end the inning. In the ninth, Scott Schreiber opened the frame with a double, putting the tying run in scoring position. However, Enmanuel Valdez struck out, Marty Costes flied out to the wall in right field and Alex Holderbach struck out to end the contest.
Humberto Castellanos pitched 2.0 perfect innings out of the bullpen for the River Bandits. Daniels took the hard-luck loss by allowing one run in 6.0 innings of work.
The River Bandits resume their 12-game road trip with the first of four at Dozer Park in Peoria on Thursday night at 6:35 p.m. RHP Jojanse Torres (2-0, 0.00) will toe the rubber for the River Bandits. The Peoria Chiefs will have LHP Jacob Schlesener (0-3, 11.85) throwing in the opener.
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Beloit Earns Series Win after Split of Doubleheader - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Play in Front of 53rd Sellout in Stadium History - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs Split DH in Front of Sellout Crowd - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Avoid Sweep with Historic 17-0 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings to Honor Fallen Fire Fighter During Homestand - Clinton LumberKings
- Cabezas Collars Bandits in Combined Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Akins Home Run Carries Kernels to 1-0 Win over River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Top of Order Explodes to Sweep TinCaps - Lake County Captains
- Walk-Off Walk Finishes Sweep, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Aw, 'Nuts: 'Caps Swept by Lansing - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Hot Hitting Not Enough in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- What Do You Know? Another Camels Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Loons Top Dragons 8-3 to Take Series Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 15 at Lake County (Game 37) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Wednesday (10:35 AM Game) - Dayton Dragons
- Infielder De Los Santos, Prospect Catcher Moreno Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Comeback Cubs Rally to Beat Hot Rods for 5th Straight Win - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Fall 6-5 in 11 Innings Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Beloit Wins Extra Innings Affair in Peoria - Beloit Snappers
- Franco Homers in 6-4 Loss on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021
- River Bandits/Purina to Hold Pet Food Pantry at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits/Genesis PPE Drive at Modern Woodmen Park
- Bandits Now Accepting Valentine's Day Dinner Reservations
- River Bandits to Host Charity Hot Stove Dinner January 29th