Fireflies Game Notes - April 19 vs. Hickory (Game 15)
Chicharrones de Columbia (7-7) @ Llamas de Hickory (10-4)
RHP Dedniel Nunez (2-0, 3.97) vs. RHP Jean Casanova (0-0, 5.63)
Fri., April 19, 2019 - Segra Park - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 15
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Walter Rasquin's bases-loaded two-out single in the bottom of the ninth inning on Thursday lifted Columbia to a 4-3 walk-off win over Hickory. It was the first walk-off win of the season. The Fireflies scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth-with two outs, no less-to claim the win. Bradley Marquez first ripped an RBI base hit that tied the game before Rasquin's heroics shortly after.
WALK-OFF WALT: Remember, Rasquin not only drove in the game-winner on Thursday. In Wednesday's 2-1 win over Rome, Rasquin knocked in both runs en route to the Fireflies winning the series. The Venezuelan is hitting .295 through his first 10 games of the season.
THIS KID CAN HIT: Ronny Mauricio's .345 batting average is third-best in the league and his 19 total hits are the most in the South Atlantic League. Seventeen of the 18-year-old Mets prospect's 19 hits on the year are singles.
CHICHARRONES DE COLUMBIA: The Fireflies have partnered with Minor League Baseball as it heads into year two if its Copa de la Diversion initiative. Columbia is one of 72 teams that'll change its name and logo for multiple games throughout the season (in this case, April 18-20) to connect with the Latin community. As Columbia was searching for a Copa identity, a constant culinary theme across all nations was found that is represented in our community: Chicharrónes. Chicharrones are a pork dish featuring either pork belly or pork rinds and are a staple in the diets of people throughout these countries, albeit with national variations from country to country.
FOLLOW THE LAW: Senior baseball writer at ESPN, Keith Law, ranked Columbia's roster as the 7th-most "Loaded Roster" in all of Minor League Baseball. Law recognized the fact Columbia's roster includes the Mets' past two second-round draft choices (Simeon Woods-Richardson, Mark Vientos), the system's third-rated prospect (Ronny Mauricio), according to Baseball America, and left-hander Thomas Szapucki (drafted in the fifth round in 2015) who returned after missing the entire 2018 season following Tommy John surgery.
YOUTHFUL ENERGY: Columbia's 2019 roster features three teenagers: SS Ronny Mauricio (18), RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson (18) and 3B Mark Vientos (19). All are considered top-10 rated Mets prospects. The Fireflies roster currently includes nine players aged 21 or younger. Columbia's opening day roster was the youngest (average age 21.6) ever. Take a look below for more information on the prospects in Columbia in 2019.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Matheny Magic Helps GreenJackets Win in Extras - Augusta GreenJackets
- Greenville Holds Rome Scoreless for Second Consecutive Night - Rome Braves
- Drive Shutout Rome for Second Straight Night, Take Series - Greenville Drive
- Suns Score Season-High 13 Runs in Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Claws Falter Late; Legends Win 5-3 on Friday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Rain Postpones Friday's Game against Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Encourage Fans to Slow Down, Bring Dogs, and Kick Back for a Week at the Joe - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Game Notes - April 19 vs. Hickory (Game 15) - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Rained out in Greensboro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Friday's Road Contest in Asheville Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Promo Preview: Fireworks, Sanctus Real Concert and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Game Postponed; Friday Night's Game Rescheduled to Saturday - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kingham promoted to High-A Florida - Rome Braves
- Greenville Takes Series Opener in 4-0 Blanking of Rome - Rome Braves
- Vickers Finishes Single Shy of Cycle in 10-5 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Six-Run Sixth Inning Guides Power to 12-7 Win - West Virginia Power
- Two-Out Trouble Spells Defeat for the Tourists - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Fireflies Announce 2020 Game Times and Promotional Highlights
- Mason in Search of a Trick-Or-Treating Partner
- Ballpark Digest Names Segra Park "Class A Ballpark of the Decade"
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools