Claws Falter Late; Legends Win 5-3 on Friday
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Chase Vallot broke a 2-2 tie with an RBI double in the eighth to key a three-run inning for Lexington as the BlueClaws fell to the Legends 5-3 on Friday night at FirstEnergy Park.
The teams have now split the first two games of their three-game series with Lakewood falling to 4-12 and the Legends improving to 9-6 on the year.
The three-run Legends eighth inning included a go-ahead double by Vallot and a two-run home run by Reed Rohlman. All three runs were charged to BlueClaws pitcher Colton Eastman (0-2).
Alec Bohm reached base in all four plate appearances for the BlueClaws, going 3-3 with a walk. It was Bohm's second three-hit game of the season and third of his career.
Winning pitcher Austin Lambright (1-0) gave up two runs, one earned, while Josh Dye threw a scoreless inning for his first professional save.
The BlueClaws opened the scoring in the bottom of the fourth when Bohm scored on an error. After the Legends tied the game in the fifth, they took the lead in the seventh when Juan Carlos Negret scored on an error.
Lakewood came back to the the game off reliever Austin Lambright in the bottom of the seventh on a one-out RBI double from Jonathan Guzman, driving home Jimmy Smith.
BlueClaws starter Ethan Lindow gave up one run over five innings while striking out four but he did not factor in the decision.
Legends starter Austin Cox also got a no-decision after allowing one unearned run over six innings with no walks and six strikeouts.
Abrahan Gutierrez had a hit for the BlueClaws and has now hit safely in all eight games in which he's played this season.
The teams finish their series on Saturday at 4:05 pm. RHP Tyler McKay (0-0) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Charlie Neuwiler (0-1).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Matheny Magic Helps GreenJackets Win in Extras - Augusta GreenJackets
- Greenville Holds Rome Scoreless for Second Consecutive Night - Rome Braves
- Drive Shutout Rome for Second Straight Night, Take Series - Greenville Drive
- Suns Score Season-High 13 Runs in Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Claws Falter Late; Legends Win 5-3 on Friday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Rain Postpones Friday's Game against Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Encourage Fans to Slow Down, Bring Dogs, and Kick Back for a Week at the Joe - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Game Notes - April 19 vs. Hickory (Game 15) - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Rained out in Greensboro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Friday's Road Contest in Asheville Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Promo Preview: Fireworks, Sanctus Real Concert and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Game Postponed; Friday Night's Game Rescheduled to Saturday - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kingham promoted to High-A Florida - Rome Braves
- Greenville Takes Series Opener in 4-0 Blanking of Rome - Rome Braves
- Vickers Finishes Single Shy of Cycle in 10-5 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Six-Run Sixth Inning Guides Power to 12-7 Win - West Virginia Power
- Two-Out Trouble Spells Defeat for the Tourists - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.