Drive Shutout Rome for Second Straight Night, Take Series
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Drive (7-8) kept the Rome Braves (5-10) off the scoreboard for the second straight night, taking the series with a 2-0 victory on Friday night at Fluor Field. The series win is the first for the Drive this season.
Pitching ruled the first five innings of the game. Drive starter Brayan Bello worked 5.0 scoreless innings, scattering five hits with five strikeouts and no walks. Rome starter Odalvi Javier matched him for the first four innings, holding Greenville without a run and allowing just two hits and three walks with seven strikeouts.
Tanner Lawson came in for Rome working a scoreless fifth inning but the Drive finally broke through in the sixth. Devlin Granberg and Brandon Howlett drew back-to-back walks and a groundout moved both runners up 90 feet. Grant Williams plated the only runs of the game with a single to center to score both runners and give the Drive a 2-0 lead.
The Drive bullpen would take it from there, not allowing a hit in its four innings of work. Yorvin Pantoja (1-2) earned the win, tossing 2.0 scoreless innings with four strikeouts. Rio Gomez came on in the eighth and earned his second save of the year with 2.0 scoreless innings with three strikeouts.
Granberg led the Drive offense, going 2-for-3 with a walk and a run, while Kole Cottam contributed two hits in the game.
The Drive will go for the sweep on Saturday with first pitch set for 7:05 PM. Drive righty Alex Scherff (0-1, 3.38 ERA) will face off with Rome righty Alan Rangel (0-1, 4.50 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Matheny Magic Helps GreenJackets Win in Extras - Augusta GreenJackets
- Greenville Holds Rome Scoreless for Second Consecutive Night - Rome Braves
- Drive Shutout Rome for Second Straight Night, Take Series - Greenville Drive
- Suns Score Season-High 13 Runs in Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Claws Falter Late; Legends Win 5-3 on Friday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Rain Postpones Friday's Game against Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Encourage Fans to Slow Down, Bring Dogs, and Kick Back for a Week at the Joe - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Game Notes - April 19 vs. Hickory (Game 15) - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Rained out in Greensboro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Friday's Road Contest in Asheville Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Promo Preview: Fireworks, Sanctus Real Concert and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Game Postponed; Friday Night's Game Rescheduled to Saturday - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kingham promoted to High-A Florida - Rome Braves
- Greenville Takes Series Opener in 4-0 Blanking of Rome - Rome Braves
- Vickers Finishes Single Shy of Cycle in 10-5 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Six-Run Sixth Inning Guides Power to 12-7 Win - West Virginia Power
- Two-Out Trouble Spells Defeat for the Tourists - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- Greenville Drive Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Drive Recognized with Multiple South Atlantic League Awards
- Drive Drop Home Finale to GreenJackets
- Third Inning Pushes GreenJackets Past Drive
- Sixth, Seventh Innings Power Drive to Win over GreenJackets