Energy Win Streak Hits Three with Win over RGV Vipers
Des Moines, Iowa - The Iowa Energy (13-12) won 124-120 over the Rio Grande Valley Vipers (12-14) Tuesday night at Wells Fargo Arena.
Iowa was led by Memphis Grizzlies assignee Russ Smith with 30 points and 4 rebounds. Damien Wilkins added a double-double with 24 points and 12 rebounds. Glen Rice, Jr. led Rio Grande Valley with 32 points and 11 rebounds.
Rio Grande Valley jumped out to an early first quarter lead. Iowa would come charging back led by Russ Smith's nine first quarter points to take a 28-27 lead after the first quarter. Iowa continued to carry the momentum into the second quarter, extending the lead over the Vipers to 61-53 at halftime. Wilkins and Smith each added seven-second quarter points to lead the Energy.
The second half started out with a close third quarter with the Energy extending their lead to 12 points heading into the fourth and holding a 93-81 advantage. The Vipers were able to mount a comeback in the fourth, outscoring the Energy 39-31 to pull with a only a few points in the closing minutes. The Energy held strong and pulled out a 124-120 win for their third in a row.
The Energy travel to Fort Wayne to play the Mad Ants on Thursday at 6 p.m. The next Energy home game is Saturday at 7 p.m. Saturday is Hoops For Troop Military Night with $5 discounted tickets for military personal, friends and family.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 28, 2015
- Blue Hold off Drive's Comeback - Grand Rapids Drive
- Wolves Sign Guard Lorenzo Brown from the Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Blue Holds on to Win Ninth Straight - Oklahoma City Blue
- Wolves Sign Guard Lorenzo Brown from the Grand Rapids Drive - G League
- Red Claws Acquire Mike Schachtner - Maine Red Claws
- D-Fenders Waive Alfred Aboya - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Warriors Assign Ezeli to Santa Cruz - G League
- Warriors Assign Festus Ezeli to Santa Cruz; Recall Ognjen Kuzmic from D-League - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Cavs Recall Joe Harris - Canton Charge
- Bighorns Acquire Ty Walker Rights from Erie - Reno Bighorns
- BayHawks Complete Trade - Erie BayHawks
- Westchester Knicks Waive Todd Mayo - Westchester Knicks
- Bighorns Two-Game Homestand to Benefit Susan G. Komen and Veterans Guest House - Reno Bighorns
- Mad Ants Acquire Former IU Hoosier Will Sheehey - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Reggie Williams Called up to San Antonio - Oklahoma City Blue
- Spurs Sign Reggie Williams from the NBA D-League's Oklahoma City Blue - G League
- Jazz Sign Rio Grande Valley's Chris Johnson to a 10-Day Contract - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Jazz Sign Rio Grande Valley's Chris Johnson to a 10-Day Contract - G League
- Bucks Sign Canton's Jorge Gutierrez to a 10-Day Contract - Canton Charge
- Pacers Assign Whittington to NBA D-League's Fort Wayne Mad Ants - G League
- Shayne Whittington Assigned to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Austin Spurs Acquire Trey Gilder - Austin Spurs
- Bucks Sign Canton's Jorge Gutierrez to 10-Day Contract - G League
- Tickets on Sale Now for NBA D-League All-Star Game 2015 - Westchester Knicks
- Warriors Dropped by Bakersfield - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Jam Cruise Past Warriors to Win Fifth Straight - Bakersfield Jam
- Energy Win Streak Hits Three with Win over RGV Vipers - Iowa Wolves
- Stampede Dropped at Home by the Spurs - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.