Jazz Sign Rio Grande Valley's Chris Johnson to a 10-Day Contract
SALT LAKE CITY (January 28, 2015) - The Utah Jazz announced today that the team has signed forward Chris Johnson of the NBA Development League's Rio Grande Valley Vipers to a 10-day contract. Johnson becomes the NBA's 24th overall NBA D-League Call-Up of the 2014-15 season and the 22nd different player to be called up. Per team policy, financial terms were not released. Following the move, the Jazz roster now stands at 15 players.
The 24-year-old Johnson (6-6, 201, Dayton) appeared in 14 games (all starts) for the Vipers this season, averaging 20.1 points, 5.9 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.8 steals in 35.3 minutes per contest. He scored in double figures on 13 occasions and recorded 20-plus points in eight games, including one 30-point contest. He started the 2014-15 season with the Philadelphia 76ers, averaging 6.0 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.0 steals in 20.8 minutes while scoring in double figures twice in nine games (two starts), before being waived on Nov. 15.
Johnson has spent portions of three seasons with the 76ers (2014-15), Boston Celtics (2013-14) and Memphis Grizzlies (2012-13), appearing in 57 NBA games (two starts) and owns averages of 5.8 points and 2.4 rebounds in 18.9 minutes per game and has scored in double figures 12 times. He has also appeared in 73 D-League games (58 starts) over three seasons for Rio Grande Valley, holding averages of 14.8 points, 5.2 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.6 steals in 31.4 minutes. He was a member of the Vipers' 2013 D-League Championship team, a 2014 NBA D-League All-Star selection and was recently named to the 2015 NBA D-League Showcase Second Team.
A native of Columbus, Ohio, Johnson played four seasons at Dayton (2008-12), where he earned Atlantic 10 All-Championship Team honors following his junior season and was the 2010 Atlantic 10 Most Improved Player recipient and helped lead the Flyers to a 2010 NIT championship. He was not selected in the 2012 NBA Draft.
Johnson becomes the 15th D-League Call-Up in Jazz history, and the fourth this season.
He will wear uniform #23 for the Jazz.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 28, 2015
- Blue Hold off Drive's Comeback - Grand Rapids Drive
- Wolves Sign Guard Lorenzo Brown from the Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Blue Holds on to Win Ninth Straight - Oklahoma City Blue
- Wolves Sign Guard Lorenzo Brown from the Grand Rapids Drive - G League
- Red Claws Acquire Mike Schachtner - Maine Red Claws
- D-Fenders Waive Alfred Aboya - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Warriors Assign Ezeli to Santa Cruz - G League
- Warriors Assign Festus Ezeli to Santa Cruz; Recall Ognjen Kuzmic from D-League - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Cavs Recall Joe Harris - Canton Charge
- Bighorns Acquire Ty Walker Rights from Erie - Reno Bighorns
- BayHawks Complete Trade - Erie BayHawks
- Westchester Knicks Waive Todd Mayo - Westchester Knicks
- Bighorns Two-Game Homestand to Benefit Susan G. Komen and Veterans Guest House - Reno Bighorns
- Mad Ants Acquire Former IU Hoosier Will Sheehey - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Reggie Williams Called up to San Antonio - Oklahoma City Blue
- Spurs Sign Reggie Williams from the NBA D-League's Oklahoma City Blue - G League
- Jazz Sign Rio Grande Valley's Chris Johnson to a 10-Day Contract - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Jazz Sign Rio Grande Valley's Chris Johnson to a 10-Day Contract - G League
- Bucks Sign Canton's Jorge Gutierrez to a 10-Day Contract - Canton Charge
- Pacers Assign Whittington to NBA D-League's Fort Wayne Mad Ants - G League
- Shayne Whittington Assigned to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Austin Spurs Acquire Trey Gilder - Austin Spurs
- Bucks Sign Canton's Jorge Gutierrez to 10-Day Contract - G League
- Tickets on Sale Now for NBA D-League All-Star Game 2015 - Westchester Knicks
- Warriors Dropped by Bakersfield - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Jam Cruise Past Warriors to Win Fifth Straight - Bakersfield Jam
- Energy Win Streak Hits Three with Win over RGV Vipers - Iowa Wolves
- Stampede Dropped at Home by the Spurs - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.