Warriors Dropped by Bakersfield
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. - The Santa Cruz Warriors were defeated at home by the Bakersfield Jam 102-89 Tuesday night.
The Warriors were paced by Elliot Williams in his first game back with the team after playing for the Utah Jazz on two consecutive 10-day contracts. Williams had 18 points and 6 assists, while Taylor Griffin added 14 points and 9 rebounds. Ognjen Kuzmic, currently on assignment from the Golden State Warriors, notched a double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds.
Bakersfield was led by Joe Jackson who had a game-high 31 points and 7 rebounds. Casey Prather tallied 20 points and 5 rebounds, while Jamil Wilson added 17 points and 7 rebounds for the Jam.
The first half of the game saw Bakersfield outshoot Santa Cruz (55%-39%), with no players from the Warriors scoring in double-figures. The Jam's greatest lead was as many as 22 points in the second quarter, heading into the break still edging Santa Cruz by 15.
The Warriors came back determined to eclipse the Jam's lead. A three-pointer from Mychel Thompson would bring the Warriors within 9, slashing Bakersfield's double-digit lead with two minutes remaining in the third quarter.
To begin the fourth quarter, the Warriors cut the Jam lead to 7 points, coming within 5 points early in the period. A resounding dunk from Bakersfield's Joe Jackson would push the Jam's lead by to double-digits, and finished strong on both ends of the floor to secure their fifth straight victory.
The Santa Cruz Warriors will travel to Reno to take on the Bighorns in a weekend double-header tipping off at 7:00 p.m. Pacific on Friday. Fans can listen to the broadcast on the Santa Cruz Warriors flagship station, KION 1460AM/101.1FM, or catch the game on the NBA D-League's YouTube channel, via www.santacruzbasketball.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 28, 2015
- Blue Hold off Drive's Comeback - Grand Rapids Drive
- Wolves Sign Guard Lorenzo Brown from the Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Blue Holds on to Win Ninth Straight - Oklahoma City Blue
- Wolves Sign Guard Lorenzo Brown from the Grand Rapids Drive - G League
- Red Claws Acquire Mike Schachtner - Maine Red Claws
- D-Fenders Waive Alfred Aboya - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Warriors Assign Ezeli to Santa Cruz - G League
- Warriors Assign Festus Ezeli to Santa Cruz; Recall Ognjen Kuzmic from D-League - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Cavs Recall Joe Harris - Canton Charge
- Bighorns Acquire Ty Walker Rights from Erie - Reno Bighorns
- BayHawks Complete Trade - Erie BayHawks
- Westchester Knicks Waive Todd Mayo - Westchester Knicks
- Bighorns Two-Game Homestand to Benefit Susan G. Komen and Veterans Guest House - Reno Bighorns
- Mad Ants Acquire Former IU Hoosier Will Sheehey - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Reggie Williams Called up to San Antonio - Oklahoma City Blue
- Spurs Sign Reggie Williams from the NBA D-League's Oklahoma City Blue - G League
- Jazz Sign Rio Grande Valley's Chris Johnson to a 10-Day Contract - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Jazz Sign Rio Grande Valley's Chris Johnson to a 10-Day Contract - G League
- Bucks Sign Canton's Jorge Gutierrez to a 10-Day Contract - Canton Charge
- Pacers Assign Whittington to NBA D-League's Fort Wayne Mad Ants - G League
- Shayne Whittington Assigned to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Austin Spurs Acquire Trey Gilder - Austin Spurs
- Bucks Sign Canton's Jorge Gutierrez to 10-Day Contract - G League
- Tickets on Sale Now for NBA D-League All-Star Game 2015 - Westchester Knicks
- Warriors Dropped by Bakersfield - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Jam Cruise Past Warriors to Win Fifth Straight - Bakersfield Jam
- Energy Win Streak Hits Three with Win over RGV Vipers - Iowa Wolves
- Stampede Dropped at Home by the Spurs - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors to Host Three Hardwood Classics Nights
- Santa Cruz Warriors Name Ryan Atkinson General Manager
- Santa Cruz Warriors Announce 2019-20 Season Schedule
- Santa Cruz Warriors Name Kris Weems Head Coach
- Golden State Warriors Sign Ky Bowman & Damion Lee to Two-Way Contracts