Enberg Enlightens Crowd at Jam Event
BAKERSFIELD, November 1, 2013 - Legendary broadcaster Dick Enberg was in Bakersfield Tuesday night as the special guest speaker for the Jam's annual Season Kick-Off Event. Jam season-ticket holders, partners, sponsors and business associates filled the Dignity Health Event Center to hear Enberg reflect on his experiences of his illustrious career.
The day began with a press conference at the Bakersfield Marriott where Enberg spoke to local media and discussed various topics, including his plans for the day, his current role as the voice of the San Diego Padres and his passion for education.
The highlight of the day was at the Jam Season Kick-Off Event, where over 350 guests were on hand to hear the hall of fame broadcaster share wonderful, motivational and inspirational stories on his many years of broadcasting for various networks and teams. Enberg reflected on his experiences with his longtime broadcast partner Al McGuire saying, "He's the most unforgettable character that I've ever met." He also shared his five points of power that he has used to enlighten and entertain radio and television audiences worldwide: pause, perseverance, presentation, humor and kindness.
During the evening's event, a Live Auction raised funds for the Bakersfield Jam Education Foundation; a charity whose vision is to work with churches, schools, and organizations to holistically engage every neighborhood so that schools are supported, students excel, families are healthy and whole and communities thrive. The proceeds will be utilized for programs in the Oildale community, a cause that Enberg, a former teacher, fully supports passionately and wholeheartedly.
"What a delight to be part of the 2013 Jam Season Kick-Off Event," said Enberg. "I've given hundreds of talks in my 55 years of broadcasting, but never have I been treated more royally than on my visit to Bakersfield. I will treasure the generous hospitality provided by Stan Ellis and David Higdon and the great fans and supporters of the Bakersfield Jam."
In addition to his full-time gig as the voice of the San Diego Padres, Enberg has called events for major networks, such as CBS, NBC and ESPN, and has covered memorable events from Super Bowls to Wimbledon Finals. A 14-time Emmy Award winner, Enberg is author of several books- including his most recent, named after his signature phrase, "Oh My!".
"Once again it was great to have all of our Jam partners participate in our annual event to kick-off our season and to raise money for the Bakersfield Jam Education Foundation," said Jam President/Managing Partner David Higdon. "Dick Enberg gave an eloquent speech about his career and talked about what it takes to remain at the top of your field. The night was incredible and I would like to thank all of our staff for the tireless hours they put in to make it a success."
As a token of appreciation to all the Jam partners and sponsors for their tremendous support, each one received Dick Enberg's Oh My! book.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 1, 2013
- Austin Toros Select Kyle Hunt NBA D-League Draft - Austin Spurs
- Skyforce Selects Six Players in 2013 NBA Development League Draft - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Armor Select 7 Players in 2013 NBA D-League Draft - Springfield Armor
- 66ers Select Grant Jerrett, Seven Other Draft Picks - Tulsa 66ers
- Stampede Draft Pierre Jackson in First Round - Idaho Stampede
- Tulsa 66ers Select Grant Jerrett with First Pick of 2013 NBA - G League
- Canton Charge Select Five Players in 2013 NBA Development League - Canton Charge
- Vipers Select Johnson and Hunt in First Round of NBA Development - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Armor Acquire Future Draft Picks from Delaware - Springfield Armor
- Iowa Energy Announce 2013 Training Camp Invitees - Iowa Wolves
- Charge Acquire Hite from Energy in Predraft Trade - Canton Charge
- Edinburg Announces Construction of a New Arena - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Acquires Draft Picks from Energy - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Iowa Energy Acquire Jarvis Varnado - Iowa Wolves
- Stampede Announce Training Camp Invitees - Idaho Stampede
- Enberg Enlightens Crowd at Jam Event - Bakersfield Jam
- Mad Ants Announce Returners and Training Camp Invitees - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Santa Cruz Warriors Add Seth Curry, Dewayne Dedmon & Joe Alexander - Santa Cruz Warriors
- 66ers Single Game Tickets on Sale Now - Tulsa 66ers
- Ron Howard Returns to Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.