Tulsa 66ers Select Grant Jerrett with First Pick of 2013 NBA
November 1, 2013 - NBA G League (G League) News Release
NEW YORK - The Tulsa 66ers selected Grant Jerrett (6-10, 220, Arizona) with the first overall pick of the 2013 NBA Development League Draft Liv via Cisco WebEx on Friday Night. The Rio Grande Valley Vipers drafted James Johnson (6-9, 245, Wake Forest) with the second overall pick, and the Sioux Falls Skyforce chose Quincy Douby (6-3,175, Rutgers) with the third overall selection.
Four players fresh from NBA training camps were selected in the first two rounds of the Draft: Johnson, C.J. Aiken, who was selected by the Texas Legends, DeAndre Liggins, taken by the Sioux Falls Skyforce, and Abdul Gaddy, picked by the Iowa Energy. Jerrett and Pierre Jackson, who was selected by the Idaho Stampede, are both former NBA Draft selections. Jerrett was selected 40th overall in 2013 by the Portland Trail Blazers before being traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder and Jackson went 16th overall in 2009 to the Chicago Bulls.
Mississippi saw two former standouts selected in the top 10 as Reginald Butler was taken 8th overall by the Erie BayHawks, and the Maine Red Claws selected Terrence Henry with the 10th overall pick. Butler, who participated in training camp with the Denver Nuggets, is Mississippi's all-time blocks leader with 326. Henry was only the second player in school history to collect 1,000 points and 100 blocks.
The Delaware 87ers, who make their NBA D-League debut this season, selected three NBA Draft eligible players in Norvel Pelle (6th, 1st round), Athanasios Antetokounmpo (9th, 1st round) and Aquille Carr (9th, 3rd round).
Complete rosters for each of the 17 2013-14 NBA D-League teams will be comprised of the players drafted on Friday, along with returning, affiliate and local tryout players. Rosters will be reduced from 17 players to opening-day 10-man rosters by Nov. 21 in anticipation of the Nov. 22 tip off of the NBA D-League's 13th season.
For the third consecutive year, all 17 NBA D-League teams and the NBA D-League headquarters in New York participated in the Draft exclusively through Cisco WebEx Meeting Center.
The first six rounds of the Draft were mandatory, while 12 teams were eligible to select in the 7th round and five teams were eligible to select in the 8th round. Eligibility to select in the 7th and 8th rounds was based on team's roster compositions heading into the draft. Of those teams eligible to select, four opted to forgo their selections. No trades were permitted during the Draft, and only players signed to NBA D-League Standard Player Contracts were eligible to be selected.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 1, 2013
- Austin Toros Select Kyle Hunt NBA D-League Draft - Austin Spurs
- Skyforce Selects Six Players in 2013 NBA Development League Draft - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Armor Select 7 Players in 2013 NBA D-League Draft - Springfield Armor
- 66ers Select Grant Jerrett, Seven Other Draft Picks - Tulsa 66ers
- Stampede Draft Pierre Jackson in First Round - Idaho Stampede
- Tulsa 66ers Select Grant Jerrett with First Pick of 2013 NBA - G League
- Canton Charge Select Five Players in 2013 NBA Development League - Canton Charge
- Vipers Select Johnson and Hunt in First Round of NBA Development - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Armor Acquire Future Draft Picks from Delaware - Springfield Armor
- Iowa Energy Announce 2013 Training Camp Invitees - Iowa Wolves
- Charge Acquire Hite from Energy in Predraft Trade - Canton Charge
- Edinburg Announces Construction of a New Arena - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Acquires Draft Picks from Energy - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Iowa Energy Acquire Jarvis Varnado - Iowa Wolves
- Stampede Announce Training Camp Invitees - Idaho Stampede
- Enberg Enlightens Crowd at Jam Event - Bakersfield Jam
- Mad Ants Announce Returners and Training Camp Invitees - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Santa Cruz Warriors Add Seth Curry, Dewayne Dedmon & Joe Alexander - Santa Cruz Warriors
- 66ers Single Game Tickets on Sale Now - Tulsa 66ers
- Ron Howard Returns to Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.