Canton Charge Select Five Players in 2013 NBA Development League
The 2013 NBA Development League Draft is complete, with Charge selecting five players with various college and professional experience. Those five players selected will go towards filling the 17-man training camp roster.
With the first of their two 1st round selections (13th overall), the Charge took guard Bo Spencer (6'1", 190) from Nebraska. Spencer played his first three years at Louisiana State University (2007-10) before transferring to Nebraska (2011-12). During his senior season with the Cornhuskers, he played in 30 games and averaged 15.4 points on .410 shooting with 2.6 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.3 steals in 32.5 minutes per game. Spencer spent the 2012-13 season in Italy playing for LeGamberi FO, averaging 13.1 points on .470 shooting with 3.4 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 33.0 minutes per game.
With their other 1st round selection (14th overall), Canton chose forward Gilbert Brown (6'6", 215) out of Pittsburgh. In his senior season at Pitt, Brown played in 34 games and averaged 11.3 points on .458 shooting with 4.4 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 28.0 minutes per game. After a stint in training camp with the Boston Celtics in 2011, he also played in 19 games for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants during the 2011-12 season, averaging 12.2 points on .428 shooting with 4.0 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 26.3 minutes per game.
With their 2nd round choice (31st overall), the Charge selected guard/forward Zane Johnson (6'6", 210) out of Hawaii. As a senior, he played in 29 games and averaged 14.0 points on .391 shooting with 3.2 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 34.2 minutes per game and earned All-WAC honorable mention honors. Johnson comes to Canton after spending the previous year playing professionally in Spain for Caceres and in Japan for Fukuoka Rizing.
Below is the complete list of players drafted by the Charge:
PLAYER POS HGT WGT BIRTHDATE SCHOOL ROUND (OVERALL)
Bo Spencer G 6-1 190 3/21/89 Nebraska 1st (13th)
Gilbert Brown F 6-6 215 9/5/87 Pittsburgh 1st (14th)
Zane Johnson G 6-6 210 8/1/89 Hawaii 2nd (31st)
Lorne Jackson G 6-2 205 5/14/90 Pepperdine 5th (82nd)
Alejo Rodriguez F 6-9 240 2/2/88 Iona 6th (99th)
Canton's entire 2013 training camp roster, complete with affiliate players, returning players and open tryout signees, will be announced at a later date.
Fans can stay up-to-date on team news by following the team at: @CantonCharge on Twitter at www.twitter.com/CantonCharge and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CantonCharge.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 1, 2013
- Austin Toros Select Kyle Hunt NBA D-League Draft - Austin Spurs
- Skyforce Selects Six Players in 2013 NBA Development League Draft - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Armor Select 7 Players in 2013 NBA D-League Draft - Springfield Armor
- 66ers Select Grant Jerrett, Seven Other Draft Picks - Tulsa 66ers
- Stampede Draft Pierre Jackson in First Round - Idaho Stampede
- Tulsa 66ers Select Grant Jerrett with First Pick of 2013 NBA - G League
- Canton Charge Select Five Players in 2013 NBA Development League - Canton Charge
- Vipers Select Johnson and Hunt in First Round of NBA Development - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Armor Acquire Future Draft Picks from Delaware - Springfield Armor
- Iowa Energy Announce 2013 Training Camp Invitees - Iowa Wolves
- Charge Acquire Hite from Energy in Predraft Trade - Canton Charge
- Edinburg Announces Construction of a New Arena - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Acquires Draft Picks from Energy - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Iowa Energy Acquire Jarvis Varnado - Iowa Wolves
- Stampede Announce Training Camp Invitees - Idaho Stampede
- Enberg Enlightens Crowd at Jam Event - Bakersfield Jam
- Mad Ants Announce Returners and Training Camp Invitees - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Santa Cruz Warriors Add Seth Curry, Dewayne Dedmon & Joe Alexander - Santa Cruz Warriors
- 66ers Single Game Tickets on Sale Now - Tulsa 66ers
- Ron Howard Returns to Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.