Elmore's Doubles Not Enough in 7-3 Setback
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indianapolis Indians couldn't overcome an early 7-0 deficit in a 7-3 loss to the Rochester Red Wings on Thursday night. Four Indians tallied two-hit performances, highlighted by a pair of Jake Elmore doubles that raised his league-leading average to .350.
Rochester (61-61) avoided being swept thanks to seven early runs against Alex McRae. Ramon Flores singled and scored in the first on a Wilin Rosario groundout, and the Red Wings' advantage swelled to 3-0 in the second on a two-run knock by Mike Miller.
Two innings later, the visitors opened the floodgates to build a 7-0 cushion. Ronald Torreyes singled home Tomas Telis to make it 4-0 ahead of a three-run shot by Flores.
Indianapolis (60-61) hung two runs on the scoreboard in the fifth to creep within five. Jason Martin singled and Elmore roped his first of two doubles in the game to set up an RBI knock off the bat of Hunter Owen. An ensuing suicide squeeze by Cole Tucker tallied another run.
Indy threatened for more in the sixth, loading the bases with no outs on two hits and a walk. A strikeout, fielder's choice to the plate and strikeout quickly erased the opportunity.
The Tribe scored their final run in the seventh on a single by Will Craig. Indy finished 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base.
Charlie Barnes (W, 1-0) scattered seven hits, yielded two runs and struck out five in the win. McRae (L, 7-7) dropped the decision after surrendering seven runs (six earned) on 10 hits in four innings of work.
Sam Clay (S, 2) recorded the final eight outs for Rochester to earn the save.
Tucker, Craig and Trayvon Robinson each had two-hit games, as well.
The Indians welcome Lehigh Valley to the Circle City on Friday for a doubleheader. The first game begins at 6:05 p.m. ET with the second contest beginning 35 minutes after the conclusion of game one. Dario Agrazal (4-4, 4.58) and Cody Ponce (Triple-A debut) are slated to start for Indy.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Clean Sweep: Knights Ride Past the RailRiders 7-5 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Elmore's Doubles Not Enough in 7-3 Setback - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Snap Skid, Move within 4 Games of First - Rochester Red Wings
- Home runs by Zehner, Alvarez not enough to complete rally - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs score six runs over final two innings to get victory - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Columbus Sweeps Gwinnett in Doubleheader, 5-2, 5-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Three Homers Blast Mets to 5-3 Victory over Bulls - Syracuse Mets
- Louisville Falls Short to Lehigh Valley, 7-4 - Louisville Bats
- Update Card Set Giveaway August 31 - Rochester Red Wings
- Toledo Scores 9 to Secure Win over Buffalo - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-60) vs. Rochester Red Wings (60-61) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Norfolk's Offense Strikes Early, Sweep PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bunch of Jerks Night Headlines Penultimate Homestand - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats President Gary Ulmer to Step Down; Chief Operating Officer Vic Gregovits Named President - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Toledo (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Storm Back, Stun RailRiders 13-12 - Charlotte Knights
- PawSox Fall in Extras to Tides - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders use eight-run inning to rally; Charlotte walks off in 10 innings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Straily strong despite 2-1 loss in Louisville - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.