Clean Sweep: Knights Ride Past the RailRiders 7-5 Thursday
(UPTOWN CHARLOTTE, NC) -- The red-hot Charlotte Knights used four home runs to power past the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in the finale of their three-game series by a score of 7-5 on Thursday night from BB&T Ballpark. With the win, the Knights earned a three-game series sweep of the RailRiders for the second time in two weeks.
Over their last 16 games, the Charlotte Knights have won a remarkable 13 games (13-3) and pulled to just a half-game back of the Durham Bulls in the International League Wild Card race. The Knights, who still have 18 games left during the 2019 regular season, will begin a four-game series against the Bulls on Monday from Durham, NC. The Bulls lost to the Syracuse Mets by a score of 5-3 on Thursday. The Knights are also now just three games back of the first-place Gwinnett Stripers in the IL South Division.
First baseman Zack Collins, catcher Seby Zavala, right fielder Daniel Palka, and center fielder Luis Robert all homered in Thursday's finale. For the season, the Knights have now hit 181 home runs, which is tied for the third-most in the International League.
Zavala launched his 19th home run of the season in the second inning off Nick Nelson (0-1, 7.20), who was saddled with the loss for the RailRiders. Nelson also allowed a solo home run to Robert -- his ninth of the season -- in the third inning. Both Collins and Palka homered off reliever Josh Maciejewski, a product of the Charlotte 49ers.
Offensively, Robert, Collins, and second baseman Nick Madrigal all had two hits apiece in the game. The Knights scored 35 runs in the three-game series.
LHP Justin Nicolino (7-6, 6.05) earned the win for the Knights after allowing four runs on seven hits over 6.2 innings pitched. RHP Matt Foster earned his third save of the season after he allowed just one hit over a scoreless ninth inning.
The Knights finished their regular season series against the RailRiders with a 6-0 record.
The Knights will host the Columbus Clippers on Friday afternoon at BB&T Ballpark. Pre-game radio coverage of Friday's 1:05 p.m. game is set for 12:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte and CharlotteKnights.com. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad and long-time broadcaster Mike Pacheco will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Clean Sweep: Knights Ride Past the RailRiders 7-5 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Elmore's Doubles Not Enough in 7-3 Setback - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Snap Skid, Move within 4 Games of First - Rochester Red Wings
- Home runs by Zehner, Alvarez not enough to complete rally - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs score six runs over final two innings to get victory - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Columbus Sweeps Gwinnett in Doubleheader, 5-2, 5-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Three Homers Blast Mets to 5-3 Victory over Bulls - Syracuse Mets
- Louisville Falls Short to Lehigh Valley, 7-4 - Louisville Bats
- Update Card Set Giveaway August 31 - Rochester Red Wings
- Toledo Scores 9 to Secure Win over Buffalo - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-60) vs. Rochester Red Wings (60-61) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Norfolk's Offense Strikes Early, Sweep PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bunch of Jerks Night Headlines Penultimate Homestand - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats President Gary Ulmer to Step Down; Chief Operating Officer Vic Gregovits Named President - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Toledo (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Storm Back, Stun RailRiders 13-12 - Charlotte Knights
- PawSox Fall in Extras to Tides - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders use eight-run inning to rally; Charlotte walks off in 10 innings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Straily strong despite 2-1 loss in Louisville - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Knights Offering Unique Opportunity to "Work from Home Plate" Starting on November 30
- The Charlotte Symphony Presents a Concert for Charlotte at Truist Field
- Knights Launch "Fields for Our Future" Presented by Truist
- "Knights Care 4 CLT" Raised over $125,000 for Those in Need
- 2020 Charlotte Area High School Senior All-Star Classic Presented by Truist Set for July 9