Three Homers Blast Mets to 5-3 Victory over Bulls
Syracuse, NY - The Syracuse Mets used the long ball to top the Durham Bulls, 5-3, on Thursday night at NBT Bank Stadium. Dilson Herrera knocked two homers and Danny Espinosa hit one as well in the Mets second straight victory over the Bulls.
Durham (68-54) opened the scoring in the top of the third inning on a leadoff home run by Emilio Bonifacio to give the Bulls a 1-0 lead.
Syracuse (61-61) responded in the bottom of the fourth. Herrera led off with a home run to tie the ballgame, 1-1. Réne Rivera followed with a walk before Espinosa crushed a home run over the left-field wall, giving Syracuse a 3-1 advantage.
The Mets kept things going in the bottom of the fifth inning. Rymer Liriano led off with a double. Three batters later, with two outs, Herrera blasted a two-run homer, extending the Syracuse advantage to 5-1.
Durham countered in the sixth inning. Kean Wong led off with a walk, and Nate Lowe singled to put two runners on. With no outs, Jason Coats singled up the middle to plate Wong from second base and cut the deficit to three, 5-2. One out later, Michael Perez walked to load the bases. Bonifacio then drove in Lowe from third on a groundout to first, making it 5-3 Syracuse.
The Bulls threatened in the top of the ninth inning. Dalton Kelly and Kevin Padlo walked to start the inning for Durham. Wong flew out, and Lowe reached base on an error to load the bases with one out. Mets reliever Tyler Bashlor buckled down from there. The right-hander forced back-to-back groundouts to third base to pick up the save and secure the 5-3 victory.
The Mets remain home on Friday night for the first game of a three-game series against the Norfolk Tides. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
Images from this story
Dilson Herrera hit two home runs on Thursday night in the Syracuse Mets' win against Durham
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Clean Sweep: Knights Ride Past the RailRiders 7-5 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Elmore's Doubles Not Enough in 7-3 Setback - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Snap Skid, Move within 4 Games of First - Rochester Red Wings
- Home runs by Zehner, Alvarez not enough to complete rally - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs score six runs over final two innings to get victory - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Columbus Sweeps Gwinnett in Doubleheader, 5-2, 5-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Three Homers Blast Mets to 5-3 Victory over Bulls - Syracuse Mets
- Louisville Falls Short to Lehigh Valley, 7-4 - Louisville Bats
- Update Card Set Giveaway August 31 - Rochester Red Wings
- Toledo Scores 9 to Secure Win over Buffalo - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-60) vs. Rochester Red Wings (60-61) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Norfolk's Offense Strikes Early, Sweep PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bunch of Jerks Night Headlines Penultimate Homestand - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats President Gary Ulmer to Step Down; Chief Operating Officer Vic Gregovits Named President - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Toledo (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Storm Back, Stun RailRiders 13-12 - Charlotte Knights
- PawSox Fall in Extras to Tides - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders use eight-run inning to rally; Charlotte walks off in 10 innings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Straily strong despite 2-1 loss in Louisville - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Syracuse Mets See Huge Jump in Attendance During the 2019 Season
- Syracuse Mets End Season with Heartbreaking 14-13 Loss to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in One-Game Playoff
- Mets Beat Red Wings, 8-4, to Force One-Game Playoff for North Division Title
- Syracuse Keeps Playoff Hope Alive with 7-3 Win against Rochester
- Mets Lose to Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday Night