IronPigs score six runs over final two innings to get victory
(Louisville, KY) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (57-63) left with Louisville with a sense of pride on Thursday night, as they turned in a 7-4 come-from-behind win over the Bats (52-70). The Pigs finished 3-3 against Louisville this season.
It was Louisville early as they got after IronPigs starting pitcher Enyel De Los Santos. Bats starting pitcher Vladimir Gutierrez hit a home run off De Los Santos in the bottom of the third inning to give Louisville a 1-0 lead. The Bats scored three more runs off De Los Santos in the bottom of the fourth inning to extend their lead to 4-0. Alex Blandino scored on a balk, while Guiterrez hit an RBI single and Jose Siri scored on a sacrifice fly.
The IronPigs got a run in the top of the sixth inning against Gutierrez as Nick Williams hit an RBI double to score Phil Gosselin. The Pigs scored a run against Justin Grimm and Wandy Peralta to cut the Bats' lead to 4-3 in the top of the eighth inning. Deivy Grullon and Austin Listi each hit an RBI single.
R.J. Alaniz (1-2) allowed three runs in the top of the ninth inning as the IronPigs would take a 5-4 lead. Rob Brantly and Ali Castillo hit RBI singles to chase Alaniz out of the game. Brad Boxberger would finish out the inning but allowed a two-run single to Andrew Romine that put Lehigh Valley ahead 7-4.
Austin Davis (4-1) earned the win by pitching two scoreless innings and recorded four strikeouts. Edgar Garcia earned his seventh save of the season by pitching a scoreless bottom of the ninth inning.
The IronPigs head to Indianapolis to begin a four-game series in three days against the Indians. First pitch on Friday night is at 6:05 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Clean Sweep: Knights Ride Past the RailRiders 7-5 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Elmore's Doubles Not Enough in 7-3 Setback - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Snap Skid, Move within 4 Games of First - Rochester Red Wings
- Home runs by Zehner, Alvarez not enough to complete rally - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs score six runs over final two innings to get victory - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Columbus Sweeps Gwinnett in Doubleheader, 5-2, 5-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Three Homers Blast Mets to 5-3 Victory over Bulls - Syracuse Mets
- Louisville Falls Short to Lehigh Valley, 7-4 - Louisville Bats
- Update Card Set Giveaway August 31 - Rochester Red Wings
- Toledo Scores 9 to Secure Win over Buffalo - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-60) vs. Rochester Red Wings (60-61) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Norfolk's Offense Strikes Early, Sweep PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bunch of Jerks Night Headlines Penultimate Homestand - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats President Gary Ulmer to Step Down; Chief Operating Officer Vic Gregovits Named President - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Toledo (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Storm Back, Stun RailRiders 13-12 - Charlotte Knights
- PawSox Fall in Extras to Tides - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders use eight-run inning to rally; Charlotte walks off in 10 innings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Straily strong despite 2-1 loss in Louisville - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.