Durham No-Hits Syracuse in 2-1 Win
DURHAM, NC - Arturo Reyes, Ricardo Pinto, Jose Alvarado and Hoby Milner combined to record a no-hitter, as the Durham Bulls defeated the Syracuse Mets 2-1 Wednesday night at the DBAP. Pinto (8-4) recorded the victory for the Bulls, while Corey Oswalt (7-3) suffered the loss for the Mets.
For the Bulls, it was their second no-hitter of the season, after recording a seven-inning combined no-hitter on July 5 at Gwinnett. It was the first nine-inning no-hitter for the Bulls since Justin Marks accomplished the feat on July 16, 2016, when he also no-hit Syracuse in a 2-0 win. The no-no marked the first no-hitter at the DBAP since April 26, 2014, when Mike Montgomery and Brad Boxberger combined to shut down the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders.
Reyes set the pace for the home side, striking out four and walking one over the game's first three innings. Pinto then tossed the next 4.2 frames, punching out five, walking two and allowing a run. Alvarado recorded the final out of the eighth inning, stranding the tying run at third, before Milner notched his eighth save of the season with a perfect ninth frame.
The Bulls were able to get all the offense they needed on two solo home runs. Kean Wong got things started in the first inning on a blast to right field to make it 1-0. Nate Lowe extended the lead to 2-0 with a home run to left center field in the third.
Despite the no-hitter, the Mets were able to score a run in the eighth inning on an RBI ground out by Rajai Davis to cut the deficit to 2-1. However, the Bulls pitching staff was able to lock down the game, stranding four players on base and striking out 11 in the win.
The Bulls and Mets will meet for the final game of the three-game set on Thursday night at 7:05 at the DBAP. Right-hander Sam McWilliams will take the mound for the Bulls and face off against Mets right-hander Drew Gagnon.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 7, 2019
- Bats Fall to IronPigs, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Rallies for 4-3 Win at Rochester - Gwinnett Stripers
- Wild Pitch in 8th decides game for Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Rally to Top Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders fall with All-Star Gary Sanchez rehabbing in the lineup - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Power Way to 7-2 Win against Toledo - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Blast Past RailRiders 12-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Schwindel Rakes as Toledo Falls to Buffalo - Toledo Mud Hens
- Dalbec Records Two Hits in 4-3 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Oswalt Ties Career High with Nine Strikeouts, But Mets Get No-Hit in 2-1 Loss to Bulls - Syracuse Mets
- Durham No-Hits Syracuse in 2-1 Win - Durham Bulls
- First-Ever Plates Bobble Fork Giveaway Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Red Wings Set Franchise Record for Home Runs in a Season - Rochester Red Wings
- Indians and Tides Rained out in Norfolk - Indianapolis Indians
- Tides and Indianapolis Rained Out - Norfolk Tides
- Gary Sanchez to Rehab with SWB RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (56-57) at Norfolk Tides (45-68) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Toledo (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (47-67) at Lehigh Valley IronPigs (54-58) - Louisville Bats
- Rochester Hustlers Rescheduled for September 1 - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.