Downs' Game-Winning Homer Gives WooSox 3-2 Victory
WORCESTER, M.A. - A go-ahead solo home run from Jeter Downs in the eighth powered the Worcester Red Sox (25-14) to a 3-2 win over the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (19-20) on Thursday night.
Downs stepped to the plate to lead off the bottom of the eighth, an inning after Lehigh Valley tied the game. The right hander took a strike and a ball, then jumped on the third pitch of the at-bat, blasting it deep to left to put the WooSox up 3-2. The long ball marked Downs' sixth of the season and his biggest, a game-winning shot to give Worcester its second win of the series.
The WooSox took the lead on a two-run third inning, a frame that began with a groundout and a flyout. Michael Gettys cracked a two-out single, the second baserunner against IronPigs starter David Parkinson. Up next, Jarren Duran laced a double to left center, scoring Gettys, and after a Marcus Wilson walk, Franchy Cordero brought home Duran with a single.
The 2-0 advantage held until the seventh, when Mickey Moniak crushed a two-run home run to center, tying the game. That tied the game and gave Moniak his second homer in as many days before Downs went yard an inning later to give Worcester the win.
On the mound, Tanner Houck started for the first time at Polar Park, returning from an elbow injury suffered on opening night. The right-hander looked in midseason form, tossing three scoreless innings with six strikeouts. Austin Brice allowed the home run, but Matt Hall and Kaleb Ort combined for four innings of scoreless relief to seal the victory.
The WooSox continue the six-game series Friday at Polar Park against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs at 6:35 p.m. Tickets are available for each game of the homestand at WooSox.com or by calling 508-500-8888. Television coverage is live on NESN, and radio coverage starts at 6:15 p.m. on 98.9 Nash Icon and the WooSox Radio Network. Stephen Gonsalves (2-1, 3.38) goes against Lehigh Valley's Cristopher Sanchez (2-1, 3.29).
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from June 17, 2021
- I-Cubs Dominate St. Paul in 12-2 Win - Iowa Cubs
- Knights Go Big, Beat the Jumbo Shrimp 9-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Clemens Extends Hit Streak to Six in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Hold Lead to Top Syracuse - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Loses an Extra-Inning Heartbreaker - Memphis Redbirds
- Knights Knock Five Home Runs, Top Jacksonville, 9-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Bullpen and Blankenhorn Impressive, But Syracuse Loses Tenth Straight with 4-2 Loss at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Sounds Take Late Lead, Snap Four-Game Losing Skid - Nashville Sounds
- Downs' Game-Winning Homer Gives WooSox 3-2 Victory - Worcester Red Sox
- Downs Home Run Gives Worcester Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Batters Fuel 5-2 Win over Rochester - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (20-17) vs. Memphis Redbirds (15-23) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Top Plates, 5-2, Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- June 17 Game Notes: Iowa at St. Paul - Iowa Cubs
- Bulls Fall to Tides 10-6 - Durham Bulls
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - June 17, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jumbo Shrimp Homestand Highlights June 22-27 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: June 17, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Syracuse Mets Announce Updated Attendance Policies - Syracuse Mets
- Single-Game Tickets for June 29-September 19 on Sale Monday, June 21 - Indianapolis Indians
- Rehabbers Shine, But Mets Lose Late Lead and Fall to RailRiders, 10-7, in Ten Innings - Syracuse Mets
- Morrison, Payton & Co. Power Bats to Skid-Snapping Win - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Red Sox Stories
- WooSox and City Officials Cut Ribbon Today to Open Summit Street at Polar Park
- WooSox Fall in Regular Season Finale, Enter Final Stretch at 66-52
- WooSox Crack Two Homers in 4-0 Victory over Syracuse
- Downs Homers Again in Loss to Syracuse
- WooSox Tie Game in Ninth, Fall 4-3 to Mets