Bullpen and Blankenhorn Impressive, But Syracuse Loses Tenth Straight with 4-2 Loss at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Thursday Night
Moosic, PA - A solid performance from designated hitter Travis Blankenhorn and the Mets bullpen wasn't enough as Syracuse dropped their tenth straight contest, falling to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, 4-2, on Thursday night at PNC Field.
The RailRiders (26-11) got the scoring started in the bottom of the first inning. Hoy Park flared a one out single into right field. Socrates Brito followed and hit a two-run homer off Mets starter Corey Oswalt to give Scranton/Wilkes-Barre a 2-0 lead.
In the second, Oswalt struck out the first two batters before surrendering a solo home run to Kellin Deglan, and the RailRiders increased their lead to 3-0.
Oswalt's evening came to an end after three and one-third innings pitched. The 27-year-old allowed three runs on six hits and struck out five batters.
The Mets (11-28) got on the board in the top of the fourth. Blankenhorn led off the inning with a double, his third extra-base hit in as many games with Syracuse. The former Minnesota Twin finished the game 2-for-4 with a run scored. After Orlando Calixte grounded out and Khalil Lee went down on strikes, Cheslor Cuthbert launched a two-out, two-run home run to bring Syracuse within one, 3-2. It was Cuthbert's fifth home run of the season and his third with the Mets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre responded in the fifth. Park led off the frame with a walk. Next, Brito connected with his second hit of the day on a single to center field. Derek Dietrich then grounded into a fielder's choice which got Park to third base. Armando Alvarez followed with a groundout into a fielder's choice, but Park scored to give the RailRiders their two-run lead right back, 4-2.
In the seventh, the RailRiders missed an opportunity to put the game away. With the score still 4-2 in favor of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Tom Windle came out of the bullpen for the Mets with runners at first and second and no outs. The righty issued a walk to Brito to load the bases. Dietrich then popped out for the first out. Knowing a double play would get him out of the massive jam, Windle delivered, getting Alvarez to ground into a 5-4-3 double play to end the inning with no damage done.
The bullpen tonight for Syracuse was a bright spot. Between Stephen Nogosek, Marcel Rentería, and Windle, the Mets pen delivered four and two-thirds innings of one-run baseball, allowing only one hit and striking out five.
The Mets were still down by two going to the ninth. Luis García came in trying to close it out for the RailRiders and delivered, recording his league-leading 11th save of the year as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre won, 4-2.
The Mets and RailRiders return to PNC Field Friday night for game four of the six-game series. First pitch from Moosic, PA is at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from June 17, 2021
- I-Cubs Dominate St. Paul in 12-2 Win - Iowa Cubs
- Knights Go Big, Beat the Jumbo Shrimp 9-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Clemens Extends Hit Streak to Six in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Hold Lead to Top Syracuse - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Loses an Extra-Inning Heartbreaker - Memphis Redbirds
- Knights Knock Five Home Runs, Top Jacksonville, 9-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Bullpen and Blankenhorn Impressive, But Syracuse Loses Tenth Straight with 4-2 Loss at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Sounds Take Late Lead, Snap Four-Game Losing Skid - Nashville Sounds
- Downs' Game-Winning Homer Gives WooSox 3-2 Victory - Worcester Red Sox
- Downs Home Run Gives Worcester Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Batters Fuel 5-2 Win over Rochester - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (20-17) vs. Memphis Redbirds (15-23) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Top Plates, 5-2, Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- June 17 Game Notes: Iowa at St. Paul - Iowa Cubs
- Bulls Fall to Tides 10-6 - Durham Bulls
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - June 17, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jumbo Shrimp Homestand Highlights June 22-27 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: June 17, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Syracuse Mets Announce Updated Attendance Policies - Syracuse Mets
- Single-Game Tickets for June 29-September 19 on Sale Monday, June 21 - Indianapolis Indians
- Rehabbers Shine, But Mets Lose Late Lead and Fall to RailRiders, 10-7, in Ten Innings - Syracuse Mets
- Morrison, Payton & Co. Power Bats to Skid-Snapping Win - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Behind Jackson and Eickhoff, Mets Bounce Back with 6-3 Win over Red Wings on Wednesday Afternoon
- Vance Worley Provides Solid Start, But Mets Fall to Red Wings in Series Opener, 3-1
- Mets and RailRiders Cancelled on Sunday Because of Rain, Syracuse Wins Series
- Trevor Williams Impresses in Mets Debut, Leading Salt City to a 5-3 Win over Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Saturday Night
- Duels of the Dishes Series Returns to Syracuse & Rochester in 2021