Bulls Fall to Tides 10-6
NORFOLK, Va. - Bulls catcher Deivy Grullon hammered two home runs and shortstop Wander Franco extended his hit streak to 14 games in Durham's 10-6 defeat to the Norfolk Tides on Thursday afternoon at Harbor Park.
Grullon's homer in the second got the scoring started, and an RBI off the bat of first baseman Dalton Kelly scored right fielder Ryan Boldt to extend Durham's lead to 2-0 in the fourth. The Tides evened the tally in the fifth with a two-run home run off the bat of CF Ryan McKenna.
The Bulls added three more runs in the seventh, after CF Nathan Lukes singled and scored LF Brett Sullivan. After Franco's two-run single, the Tides exploded for a five-run rally in the seventh, highlighted by a go-ahead two-run homer off the bat of LF Tyler Nevin, giving the Tides a 7-5 lead.
Grullon went deep again in the eighth to make it 7-6, however Norfolk slammed the door shut after a three-run shot by third baseman Domingo Leyba extended the Tides.
Bulls starter Joe Ryan (5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, BB, 4 K) did not factor in the decision, while David Hess (1.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 2 ER) suffered the loss. Norfolk reliever Eric Hanhold (1.2 IP, H, R, ER) notched his first win of the season.
The two teams are scheduled to continue their series on Friday evening, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05pm ET. RHP Drew Strotman (4-2, 4.91) is expected to toe the rubber for the Bulls, while the Tides are anticipated to give the ball to LHP Zac Lowther (0-2, 5.28).
The Bulls are scheduled to return to Durham Bulls Athletic Park on Tuesday, June 29 to start a six-game series with the Gwinnett Stripers. First pitch of that game is slated for 6:35pm. Tickets for that game and all remaining 2021 home games are available at durhambulls.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from June 17, 2021
- I-Cubs Dominate St. Paul in 12-2 Win - Iowa Cubs
- Knights Go Big, Beat the Jumbo Shrimp 9-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Clemens Extends Hit Streak to Six in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Hold Lead to Top Syracuse - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Loses an Extra-Inning Heartbreaker - Memphis Redbirds
- Knights Knock Five Home Runs, Top Jacksonville, 9-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Bullpen and Blankenhorn Impressive, But Syracuse Loses Tenth Straight with 4-2 Loss at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Sounds Take Late Lead, Snap Four-Game Losing Skid - Nashville Sounds
- Downs' Game-Winning Homer Gives WooSox 3-2 Victory - Worcester Red Sox
- Downs Home Run Gives Worcester Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Batters Fuel 5-2 Win over Rochester - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (20-17) vs. Memphis Redbirds (15-23) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Top Plates, 5-2, Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- June 17 Game Notes: Iowa at St. Paul - Iowa Cubs
- Bulls Fall to Tides 10-6 - Durham Bulls
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - June 17, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jumbo Shrimp Homestand Highlights June 22-27 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: June 17, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Syracuse Mets Announce Updated Attendance Policies - Syracuse Mets
- Single-Game Tickets for June 29-September 19 on Sale Monday, June 21 - Indianapolis Indians
- Rehabbers Shine, But Mets Lose Late Lead and Fall to RailRiders, 10-7, in Ten Innings - Syracuse Mets
- Morrison, Payton & Co. Power Bats to Skid-Snapping Win - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Durham Bulls Stories
- Bulls Finish Historic Season with 86-44 Record After 3-2 Defeat
- Bulls Clinch Final Stretch Title with Dramatic 5-3 Win over Tides
- Bulls Earn Tenth Straight Win, Inch Closer to Final Stretch Title with 2-1 Victory
- Durham Wins Ninth Straight, Blanks Norfolk 8-0
- Bulls Remain Undefeated in Final Stretch with 4-1 Win over Tides