'Dogs Clinch Series Behind Brownell's Shutout
LINCOLN, Nebraska - John Brownell tossed the ninth shutout of his career, and the Saltdogs beat the Goldeyes 6-0 at Haymarket Park on Wednesday night.
Brownell's complete game was the 39th of his career, and the 36-year-old allowed just six hits with a pair of walks and five strikeouts. The shutout was Lincoln's second of the year after Nick Tepesch finished one on June 30th, and the third complete game of the year.
Curt Smith had two more hits and a second home run in as many nights, and Ivan Marin had a two-run single as part of a five-run 4th inning.
Josh Mazzola drew a bases-loaded walk to open the scoring in the 4th, and Tyler Moore singled in another run right after. After Marin made it 4-0 with his two-run single, Christian Ibarra singled in one more to finish the inning.
The 'Dogs added another run on Curt Smith's ninth homer of the year in the 5th - a solo shot with two outs in the inning.
Smith now has hits in eight consecutive games, which ties the 'Dogs season high and is Smith's best run in 2019. Ibarra walked two more times, and Mazzola had a pair of walks to go with a double to make it hits in four consecutive games to begin his 'Dogs tenure.
Brownell has combined with Shairon Martis to toss 15.2 innings, allowing just one earned run on seven hits.
Lincoln has a shot to sweep a series for the second time this season. First-pitch time on Friday is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. and pregame coverage will begin at 6:35 p.m. on ESPN Lincoln 101.5 FM/1480 AM.
The Saltdogs are playing their 19th season in Lincoln. All ticket and promo information can be found at saltdogs.com, and follow the 'Dogs on Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 10, 2019
- Manny Boscan's Three Run Homer Powers Milkmen to Victory - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Ely's RBI Double Completes Birds Comeback - Sioux Falls Canaries
- 'Cats Swept by Dogs in Wednesday Doubleheader - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Clinch Series Behind Brownell's Shutout - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Dogs Sweep Wiener Wednesday Doubleheader - Chicago Dogs
- Zimmerman Magnificent, Seven Run Seventh Gives Saints 7-1 Victory over T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs' Brownell Blanks Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Boscan's Homer Downs Railroaders - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Ink Rookard to First Pro Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- We'll Show You the Backside of Our Moon During July 12-18 Homestand - St. Paul Saints
- First Inning Dooms T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Dogs Break out on Historic Night at Haymarket Park - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Railroaders Outscore Milkmen in Series Opener - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Alay Lago Homers Twice in Birds Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saltdogs Top Goldeyes in Lincoln - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Blast Three More Long Balls, Double up T-Bones 10-5 - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.