'Dogs Break out on Historic Night at Haymarket Park
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Curt Smith tied a club season-high with five RBI, Josh Mazzola became the fifth player in league history to 700 hits, and Shairon Martis took a no-hitter into the 7th inning of a 9-2 win over the Winnipeg Goldeyes at Haymarket Park on Tuesday night.
Smith hit a three-run homer as part of a four-run 3rd inning, while Shairon Martis built on another great start by allowing just one hit that came with two outs in the 7th inning.
Josh Mazzola, who had 493 career hits with the Goldeyes over his five seasons in Winnipeg, singled to left in the 2nd inning - joining Reggie Abercrombie, David Espinosa, Maikol Gonzalez and John Allen as the only player in American Association history with 700 or more hits.
The 'Dogs fell behind on a sacrifice fly in the 2nd inning, but Nick Schulz answered immediately to tie the game in the bottom-half.
In the 3rd, Randolph Oduber singled in the go-ahead run before Smith's three-run homer - Lincoln's first since July 4th.
Lincoln added three more in the 5th with Smith's two-run double and a sacrifice fly from Mazzola. After Winnipeg got one back on Tyler Hill's two-out RBI single in the 7th inning, Christian Ibarra doubled in Ivan Marin in the 8th - Ibarra's first hit since returning to the disabled list on Friday.
After going scoreless over the weekend, the 'Dogs broke out for nine more runs on Tuesday and are now 22-9 when scoring three or more runs this season.
The 'Dogs and Goldeyes will play Game 2 of the three-game series on Wednesday night. First-pitch time is scheduled for 7:05 p.m., and pregame coverage begins at 6:35 p.m. on ESPN Lincoln 101.5 FM/1480 AM.
The Saltdogs are playing their 19th season in Lincoln. All ticket and promo information can be found at saltdogs.com, and follow the 'Dogs on Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 10, 2019
- Manny Boscan's Three Run Homer Powers Milkmen to Victory - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Ely's RBI Double Completes Birds Comeback - Sioux Falls Canaries
- 'Cats Swept by Dogs in Wednesday Doubleheader - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Clinch Series Behind Brownell's Shutout - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Dogs Sweep Wiener Wednesday Doubleheader - Chicago Dogs
- Zimmerman Magnificent, Seven Run Seventh Gives Saints 7-1 Victory over T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs' Brownell Blanks Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Boscan's Homer Downs Railroaders - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Ink Rookard to First Pro Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- We'll Show You the Backside of Our Moon During July 12-18 Homestand - St. Paul Saints
- First Inning Dooms T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Dogs Break out on Historic Night at Haymarket Park - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Railroaders Outscore Milkmen in Series Opener - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Alay Lago Homers Twice in Birds Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saltdogs Top Goldeyes in Lincoln - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Blast Three More Long Balls, Double up T-Bones 10-5 - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.