Dogs Bats Stay Hot in 9-5 Victory over Canaries
Rosemont, Ill. - The Dogs produced ten hits, walked seven times, and scored nine runs en route to a 9-5 series opening victory over the Sioux Falls Canaries Friday night at a misty Impact Field.
The Dogs scored nine times, one game after setting a single-game franchise record with ten runs in a game on Wednesday in Texas. The 19 runs mark the most combined runs in a two-game stretch all year for Chicago.
Chicago struck first Friday thanks to an RBI triple from Rubi Silva. After driving in Edwin Arroyo from first base, Silva scored on a throwing error from shortstop Blake Schmit to complete a little league home run.
Dogs starter Scott Barnes gave the runs back to Sioux Falls as the Canaries plated two of their own in the top half of the fourth inning on consecutive RBI singles from Jabari Henry and Jordan Dean.
In the home half of the fourth Chicago took the lead for good thanks to an RBI double from Mike Falsetti and an RBI ground out from Kenny Wilson. Chicago added a two-spot in the bottom of the sixth inning and one more for good measure in the bottom of the eighth.
The Dogs matched a single-game franchise high with five extra base hits, including three triples. Chicago now leads the American Association with 22 triples on the year, and have produced 20 three-baggers over their past 28 games.
Barnes pitched five and one-third innings for Chicago, allowing three earned runs on eight hits. The Dogs right-hander earned his first win of the year in his eleventh start, and is now 1-2 on the season.
The seven walks for the Dogs fell one base on balls short of a single-game high. Chicago walked five times against Canaries starter Kevin Folman, who pitched five and two-thirds innings, allowing six earned runs in a loss.
The two teams will resume their series Saturday night at Impact Field. Southpaw Evan Smith will start for Chicago against right-hander Dylan Thompson for Sioux Falls.
First pitch from Impact Field is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. The game will be broadcast at www.thechicagodogs.com/broadcasts/ with the Crowne Plaza Pregame Show beginning at 6:45 p.m.
Follow the team on social media at @TheChicagoDogs on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. For more information, visit TheChicagoDogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 21, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- AirHogs Fall in 11 After Matzek Twirls One-Hit Gem - Texas AirHogs
- Saints Bats Silenced Again in 6-1 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Nester's Blast Gives Wingnuts Late Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Kansas City Fries the Pigs in Extras, 1-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Fish out of Water: Jacobs' Grand Slam Secures RedHawks' Win over Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Doomed by Late Homer - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Sweep Twin Bill against Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Jacobs Grand Slam the Difference at Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Minor Problem: Saints Blanked by RailCats 3-0 in July 20 Resumed Game - St. Paul Saints
- X's Hold on to Take First Game of Series from Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Bats Stay Hot in 9-5 Victory over Canaries - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Return Home with a Thud - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homer Game by Ijames Powers Extra Inning Win - Texas AirHogs
- Three Home Runs Not Enough in Canaries Loss to Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Big Fifth Inning Too Much for Saltdogs to Overcome in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Solomon & Gonzalez Combine to Keep 'Hawks Undefeated against Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Keon Barnum Selected as American Association MVP
- Dogs Drop Season Finale to St. Paul, Finish 59-41
- Victor Roache Earns Third Player of the Week Honor
- Keon Barnum, Victor Roache Named Postseason American Association All-Stars
- Dogs Fall To Saints On Barnum's Historic Night