AirHogs Fall in 11 After Matzek Twirls One-Hit Gem
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - The Texas AirHogs dropped a 1-0 heartbreaker at T-Bones Stadium Saturday night, falling in 11 innings on a walkoff, bases-loaded single by TCU alum Taylor Featherston. The loss wasted an incredible start from Tyler Matzek, in which the lefty carried a no-hitter into the eighth.
Matzek was brilliant all night vs. the T-Bones, striking out eight while walking three without allowing a run in eight innings. He went 7.1 innings without surrendering a hit before Keith Curcio took him for a double in the eighth. The start was the longest and most efficient of the season for Matzek.
Unfortunately, Tommy Collier held the AirHogs bats down on the mound for Kansas City. He allowed just two hits and no runs over 8.2 innings. Both starters got no-decisions.
After Zheng Chaoqun posted a scoreless ninth, the AirHogs and T-Bones went to extras for the second straight evening. Correlle Prime reached in the tenth with a leadoff walk vs. KC relief man Nick Lee but was ultimately left on third.
Qi Xin fired a scoreless bottom half of the tenth, and, in the 11th, the AirHogs threatened again. Yang Jin reached with a base hit but was ultimately caught stealing on a controversial call on an attempted steal at second base.
In the 11th, the T-Bones loaded the bases before Featherston delivered to finally break to 0-0 tie. Yang dropped to 0-4 with the loss, while Marcus Crescentini picked up the win with a scoreless 11th to move to 3-0.
The T-Bones outhit the AirHogs 4-3. The game was the second time this season that the AirHogs have gone to extra innings in a 0-0 tie. Texas has now dropped both.
Texas (17-42) close the series vs. the T-Bones (38-21) tomorrow at 1:05. RHP Gan Quan (0-5, 3.95 ERA) will start for Texas in the rubber match vs. RHP Hunter Adkins (4-2, 3.68 ERA) for Kansas City. A live broadcast of the game will be available at mixlr.com/TXAirHogs.
The Texas AirHogs - powered by Beijing Shougang Eagles will return home July 31 to take on Gary SouthShore. Tickets for all home games are available. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information. For the latest news, follow the team on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @TXAirHogs.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 21, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- AirHogs Fall in 11 After Matzek Twirls One-Hit Gem - Texas AirHogs
- Saints Bats Silenced Again in 6-1 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Nester's Blast Gives Wingnuts Late Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Kansas City Fries the Pigs in Extras, 1-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Fish out of Water: Jacobs' Grand Slam Secures RedHawks' Win over Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Doomed by Late Homer - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Sweep Twin Bill against Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Jacobs Grand Slam the Difference at Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Minor Problem: Saints Blanked by RailCats 3-0 in July 20 Resumed Game - St. Paul Saints
- X's Hold on to Take First Game of Series from Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Bats Stay Hot in 9-5 Victory over Canaries - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Return Home with a Thud - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homer Game by Ijames Powers Extra Inning Win - Texas AirHogs
- Three Home Runs Not Enough in Canaries Loss to Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Big Fifth Inning Too Much for Saltdogs to Overcome in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Solomon & Gonzalez Combine to Keep 'Hawks Undefeated against Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.