Three Home Runs Not Enough in Canaries Loss to Chicago
Three different Sioux Falls Canaries went yard on Friday at Impact Field, but the Birds still fell short in a 9-5 defeat to the Chicago Dogs.
Maxx Garrett, Jordan Dean and Patrick Fiala each hit solo home runs for the Birds, who dropped the first game of a weekend series.
Chicago opened the scoring in the third inning, when Rubi Silva hit an RBI triple to right field, scoring on a throwing error from Birds shortstop Blake Schmit.
The Birds tied the game in the top of the fourth on RBI singles by Jabari Henry and Dean. It was as close to the lead as the Birds would get.
Chicago responded with two runs in the bottom of the fourth, including an RBI double by Mike Falsetti. They led 4-2 after five.
The Birds got within a run in the sixth, when Garrett hit a solo home run to cut the lead to 4-3. It was Garrett's eighth home run of the season, tying him with Chris Grayson for the team lead.
Chicago starter Scott Barnes left the game two batters later. He allowed three runs on eight hits in 5.1 innings, walking two and striking out five.
The Dogs widened their lead in the bottom of the sixth, starting with an RBI triple by Kenny Wilson to make it 5-3. That chased Canaries starter Kevin Folman from the game.
Folman allowed six runs on six hits in 5.2 innings of work. He walked a season-high five batters and struck out four.
Ryan Fritze relieved Folman, allowing Wilson to score on an RBI single by Edwin Arroyo. The Dogs led 6-3 after six.
From there, the Canaries were unable to close the gap. Dean and Fiala hit solo home runs in the eighth and ninth innings respectively, but Chicago added two more runs in the eighth to hang on for the 9-5 win.
The Canaries and Dogs meet again Saturday for the middle game of their three-game set at 7 p.m. Dylan Thompson is set to start for Sioux Falls; lefty Evan Smith will take the mound for Chicago. Birds fans can tune in on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 98.1 FM and AM 1230 KWSN and online at kwsn.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 21, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- AirHogs Fall in 11 After Matzek Twirls One-Hit Gem - Texas AirHogs
- Saints Bats Silenced Again in 6-1 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Nester's Blast Gives Wingnuts Late Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Kansas City Fries the Pigs in Extras, 1-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Fish out of Water: Jacobs' Grand Slam Secures RedHawks' Win over Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Doomed by Late Homer - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Sweep Twin Bill against Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Jacobs Grand Slam the Difference at Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Minor Problem: Saints Blanked by RailCats 3-0 in July 20 Resumed Game - St. Paul Saints
- X's Hold on to Take First Game of Series from Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Bats Stay Hot in 9-5 Victory over Canaries - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Return Home with a Thud - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homer Game by Ijames Powers Extra Inning Win - Texas AirHogs
- Three Home Runs Not Enough in Canaries Loss to Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Big Fifth Inning Too Much for Saltdogs to Overcome in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Solomon & Gonzalez Combine to Keep 'Hawks Undefeated against Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.