Jacobs Grand Slam the Difference at Fargo
FARGO, ND - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (25-36) lost 5-3 to the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks (32-26) at Newman Outdoor Field on Saturday evening.
With the Goldeyes leading 3-1 in the bottom of the second, Devan Ahart drew a leadoff walk and advanced to second on a single to left from Leobaldo Pina. Charlie Valerio reached on an error that loaded the bases with no outs, and the RedHawks took a 5-3 lead when Chris Jacobs hit a grand slam home run to left.
RedHawks' starter Brandon Barker (1-2) picked up the win, allowing three earned runs on five hits over six and two-thirds innings. Barker walked two and struck out five.
Alex Boshers (3-6) started and took the loss for Winnipeg, allowing five runs, four earned, on eight hits in five innings. Boshers walked two and struck out none.
Geoff Broussard pitched a scoreless top of the ninth to earn his fourth save of the year.
Winnipeg jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the top of the second. Josh Mazzola led off with a single. Two batters later, Josh McAdams walked. Grant Heyman followed with a three-run home run to right.
In the bottom of the inning, Tim Colwell reached on a two-out, infield single that scored Jacobs with the RedHawks' first run.
PJ Browne, Jack Charleston, and Cameron McVey each worked a scoreless inning in relief of Boshers. Heyman finished the game with four hits.
The series concludes Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. Mitchell Lambson (4-2, 3.47) takes on right-hander Trey McNutt (3-5, 5.34). All the action can be heard locally on 93.7 FM CJNU and worldwide at www.cjnu.ca
The Goldeyes return home Tuesday when they host the Texas AirHogs at Shaw Park. Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 21, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- AirHogs Fall in 11 After Matzek Twirls One-Hit Gem - Texas AirHogs
- Saints Bats Silenced Again in 6-1 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Nester's Blast Gives Wingnuts Late Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Kansas City Fries the Pigs in Extras, 1-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Fish out of Water: Jacobs' Grand Slam Secures RedHawks' Win over Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Doomed by Late Homer - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Sweep Twin Bill against Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Jacobs Grand Slam the Difference at Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Minor Problem: Saints Blanked by RailCats 3-0 in July 20 Resumed Game - St. Paul Saints
- X's Hold on to Take First Game of Series from Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Bats Stay Hot in 9-5 Victory over Canaries - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Return Home with a Thud - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homer Game by Ijames Powers Extra Inning Win - Texas AirHogs
- Three Home Runs Not Enough in Canaries Loss to Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Big Fifth Inning Too Much for Saltdogs to Overcome in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Solomon & Gonzalez Combine to Keep 'Hawks Undefeated against Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.